Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (5,086 Views)
Accepted Solution

network adapter and other drivers missing after installing windows 7 ultimate on my elitebook 8540w

HP Elitebook 8540w, model WH137AW#ABA - This laptop and was previously running a demo version of windows 7 professional 64 bit. I wanted to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I elected to Install rather than Upgrade as I assumed the demo version was not upgradeable. Before the install, I was able to connect to a wireless network successfully. After installing windows 7 ultimate successfully, I was no longer able to connect or see any networks. The diagnostic error states that I may be missing a network adapter, or if I do have one, the driver may need to be reinstalled. I saw a previous post and answer that looked very similar but the difference is that I am missing my network adapter driver so I am not able to download any of the other drivers.- Help me please!

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: network adapter and other drivers missing after installing windows 7 ultimate on my elitebook 85

Yes...you can do so. If you are getting confused on what to install, please provide the hardware ID.

HardwareID: (Open Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter. Double click a device. Choose the Details tab and then the Hardware Ids from the drop-down.)

View solution in context
Dean
Message 2 of 7 (5,072 Views)

Re: network adapter and other drivers missing after installing windows 7 ultimate on my elitebook 85

All the drivers for your system are available to download from the following weblink:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4097219&...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (5,069 Views)

will I be able to download to my hp pavillion, copy to usb, and install on elitebook? - sorry if this is a dumb question Smiley Happy

Dean
Message 4 of 7 (5,067 Views)

Yes...you can do so. If you are getting confused on what to install, please provide the hardware ID.

HardwareID: (Open Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter. Double click a device. Choose the Details tab and then the Hardware Ids from the drop-down.)

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (5,062 Views)

ok - i am looking through the network drivers on the site you gave me but i do not know which one to select...

Top Student
Message 6 of 7 (5,061 Views)

hardware ids for network controller are: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_11118086&REV_35, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_11118086, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4328&CC_028000, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4328&CC_0280 

-  thanks so much for your help

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (5,051 Views)

found the drivers and got it to work!! Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Smiley Happy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation