cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
el--capitano Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no co a & contacting hp a major headache

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is not a waŕranty issue and such should be able to contact hp direct but much too awkward.

So here instead:

Win10 deadline looming wanted to update pavilion to clean install, so all that recovery stuff irrelevant as dumps bloatware etc, and then doesn't work anyway  (see below 're minimized image recov etc).

Anyway computer NEVER had its win7 co a attached, there is the patch area on underside for it, but it is pristine, clean, as it is not issue of it wearing off or being illegible.... it was NEVER THERE.  This is where Dell smarts could come in..as they put co a in batt bay... but  nothing there either.. except the extensive HP stickrrs with serial, pid, etc, all the industry creditations etc... but no coa.  

I am entitled to legit key and legally it overrides any warranty limitations under uk sales law, so hp shold sort it.

Machine obviously has a slic2.1 table and I could engineer a solution to allow me to install anything I like... but I am entitled to legal key and am being diligent here, who,d ask for a home prem key anyway?

Then we have issue of wretched double AMD switchable gfx which is causing all sorts of probs.

Or that hp/cyberpunk creatEd the worst recovery feature ever... as any change to partitions kills recovery part! So upgrading to bigger hdd can,t be done, even though recovery is entirely FILE based with wim file, it is maddening. That can't put a 500 or 1tb drug in to replace the orig 320 is bonkers, having to resort to achingly slow USB sticks or multiple DVDs.  It is crazy to have to resort to ghost or macrium and simply ignore the entire HP safety system, which is itself an 'upgrade' over the bulit in windows feature...  what a waste of time.

As for the recovery media it is almost as useless.  Did full recovery (with 2nd imaged USB stick - as i am clearly ultra-cautious) from media before, therthey didn,t all work. Minimized image option particularly failed several attempts.   Not impressed.

So want to and am legally entitled to do a clean instal from scratch with paid for coa that for some reason was not on machine from start, get any drivers from hp as and when needed, result clean lean install.

Then don't even get me started about temps of this thing, ouch. Amd have real problem, had a desktop gfx of theirs cook in seconds.. as for this laptop, when it is without the windows driver (ie when doing prover imaging from dos or PE) the machine cooks, running idle at 75 plus WITH A BIG DESK FAN & ICE BLOCK!, 86 degreyes without, over 100 degrees when processing!!  Ouch.      Saying that even under windows temps are scary high for a notebook, and the cooling system is useless, that fan is noisy but does,nt shift much....  but forget all that, it,s mildly amusing observations... apart from the likelihood the thing can start a fire... real amusing.

No the issue I,m asking about about is proper win7 key and hp should supply... this being an open forum you will note I am not asking here.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
17850 13263 264 1020
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no co a & contacting hp a major headache

@el--capitano

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation