cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
3 3 0 5
Message 41 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hey peeps im gunna tell you how i sorted this problem out on my dv6 🙂

ok firstly you need to uninstall your audio devices and codecs through device manager

to get to device manager go to computer on the start menu and right click then select properties

comp.png

Then within the system window select device manager

Untitled.png

Then in the device manager window select and right click on your audio devices and selct uninstall for both the codec and display audio or whatever audio device you may have, when it asks you tto confirm the uninstall do NOT check (tick) the delete the driver software for this device and click ok

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

When you have finished uninstalling these restart your computer and te devices should re-install, it might take a few minutes but all should be well after, hope this helps

Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 42 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem. I went to restore my computer. There was one restore point that said "Configure IDT Audio". I restored before this changed and it fixed the problem. I had this same problem a few months ago and fixed it the same way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 43 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will HP be sending a fix through for this problem as it has only occured since installing their update or do I have to try and do it myself!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 44 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That it took a customer, Greenalbert, to resolve this current mistake by HP is totally unacceptable. As an employee of HP you should feed back to your managers and directors that this practice of knowingly sending out software that is damaging to your products and then not supporting them without charging is something that in the UK the trading Standards Authority would be very interested in and attract a very large corporate fine.

It is also something that the PC and Computing Trade press would have a field day with.

Hewlett Packard need to get their act together and issue at least a blanket apology and then a fix patch that will help all those people who are now sitting in front of their machines scratching their head and not knowing what to do.

For all reading this and agreeing I suggest that you contact the PC magazines and log your complaints. If you have an opportunity to write a review of an HP product be sure to mention this sharp practice on their part.

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 45 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks akolyte!

Brilliant solution. Saves going through the HP website and choosing the model you have - there were so many I despaired.  Mine is a Pavilion DV7 btw.

The two Drivers I uninstalled were:

• IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
  • Intel Display Audio

I had already tried the "BIOS set to default" and "laptop hard reset" options - no effect.

Just uninstall those drivers, making sure you don't check the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox, reboot, and the drivers will be reinstalled

Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 46 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I called HP Support and spent 2 hours on the phone while they learned how to fix this.

As reported in an earlier post, they rolled back the bios version and unistalled and re-installed the audio driver.

After many cycles of shutdown and restart, the sound returned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 47 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks so much.  Terrific, easy to follow directions that worked!! I know very little about troubleshooting and you made it easy.  HP, you need to get on top of this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 48 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all, it has been a busy 3 days, This was an old thread where I had asked for the Product numbers/models so we could see if there was something specific for the people on then.

It only took one screen for all the posts then, this was back in April.

So while I'm out looking at Win 8 posts (this is the big Win 8 launch after all) I noticed people had started posting on this thread a lot, like 4 screens worth in 3 days, that's a lot.

I saw most of you put your models and product numbers, thankyou, it really does help, in fact yesterday evening I sent a list of them off to another team to see if it helped them ID the issue.

Meanwhile people were posting things to try, like "greenalbert" that post helped a lot of people, I just went to that post and gave them a Kudos, it's the forum way of saying thank you.

Then akolyte posted some steps and help other people, I'm going to give akolyte a Kudos after my reply.
if it helped you why not do the same.

A lot of people said HP needed to look at this, that is was unacceptable, but you should realize this is a customer forum, when we can we come in and try to help where we can, like me gathering all your models and product numbers and sending them off to see if maybe one specific update was common to all your Notebooks.
I sent it Friday so I don't expect an answer until Monday, but I wanted to come and have another look today to see if there was progress.

Sometimes HP people post the answer, sometimes customer find a way to resolve it, it's what forums are for.

it lets you communicate in a public place and share the issues and possible solutions to try.

I say more power to greenalbert & akolyte, go give them kudos if they helped you.

I have some HP content docs that are on HP.com, I just out in one of your model numbers and serached on "no audio" and found these, ots of good steps, http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01912228

and   
 http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01916251

Now I'm going to look at the steps in these and see if the solutions that worked for you are in here, and if not I can recommend a new document be made and released, all based on this thread.

Now I'm going to keep an eye on the thread to make sure the fixes stay, I'm also going to point other people to this thread who had similar Product Numbers and may report the same issue.

And yes I'm following up with the people I emailed to see if there is a common cause that HP can post something for.

So I want to thank you for posting your Product numbers and Models, and for posting your steps to help, and for people trying the steps, and for them responding to say if they helped or not.

a lot of times you can post steps to try and you never hear anything back, but you all were great, and that's what these forums are for.

You have helped each other, and given HP the information to look at the issue too.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 49 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I had the same problem after letting the HP update run, Pavilion dv7 6b51ea. Kudos to akolyte as his solution worked for me.

I had already tried checking all volume levels, looked at various things under control panel, devices etc, downloaded and tried a Microsoft troubleshooter, entered BIOS on startup and tried to set to defaults (the nearest option I could find was Reset Defaults then Save and Exit), and used HP Recovery Manager to restore IDT Audio driver to the earlier version it gave, after reading other postings on similar problems, and none of them worked for me.

Still not sure whether I've now got earlier versions of the drivers working and so will find the same problem again next time the HP Support Assistant tries to give me an update.

Anyway, really glad it's working now as I only yesterday installed some fairly expensive music notation software with 40Gb worth of sound sample files to go with it - I'd been waiting to be able to get that software for months and looking forward to using it!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 3 0 5
Message 50 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey again peeps, thanks for the Kudos im just glad my solution helped a few people, if there are any questions im sure I or someone on here can help you out, good luck all

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation