Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mannat Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

processor making crackling noise

HP Notebook - 15-ay068ca (ENER
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new laptop from bestbuy and the specs are: i7-6500u 2.5GHz, 8gb ram, windows 10 64-bit (no touch screen). It has been making a subtle (gets really loud in quiet rooms) crackling noise which seems to be coming from the processor. At first i thought it will stop but it has been 3 months and it got louder. If you know anything about this or if this happened to you feel free to let me know. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1602
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> it has been 3 months and it got louder.

Are you sure it is the CPU?

Could it be the fan near the CPU?

If it's only been 3 months, exercise the "warranty" by taking it back to BestBuy, and have them diagnose & repair it.

When was the most-recent time that the disk-drive was "defragmented" ?

As the files on the disk-drive get more fragmented, the disk-drive makes more noise, when moving the read/write mechanism back-and-forth, over greater distances.

What brand of disk-drive? Toshiba? Seagate? Western Digital?

0 Kudos
Mannat Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks for replying, im not sure but Ithink that is where the cpu is but the exact location is under the arrow keys but now that you said that, it might be the disk, ill try degragmentation; and if it doesnt work, ill take it to best buy. Im not too sure how to find the brand but ill let you know if i find it.

edit: i just checked and it said under status: OK(0%fragmented) so im guessing it doesn't need defragmentation

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 574 1602
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> the exact location is under the arrow keys ...

Determine where the exhaust-port is blowing "out" from the computer the warm air. The CPU (and its fan) usually is not too far away.

Also, on the bottom of the laptop, are there any screws holding "access-doors" shut?

If there are, then under the smallest door could be the wireless adapter (with two antenna wires connected to it).

Under the middle-sized door could be the RAM.

Under the largest door could be the disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Mannat Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unfortunately, it's just a whole cover (no doors or vents.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation