Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

Our G60-535DX Notebook recently began popping up a message in the notification area every few seconds reading "For full performance, connect a higher capacity Smart AC adapter. For more information click here."

My wife uses this machine for word processing and simple web browsing almost exclusively, so power consumption is not a problem for us, as it might be for online gamers, etc. The adapter we have is the OEM adapter that came with the machine, so we are unhappy with the idea that we might have to purchase a new, unneeded adapter just to remove this advertising. If there is no other way to resolve it, we request that you provide the new adapter free of charge, since, in that case, you apparently sold us the incorrect adapter when we purchased this product.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

James Quinn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

NON-OPTIMAL WORKAROUND  I discovered that if you simply remove the battery while using the computer in AC mode. the messages stop. Apparently they appear whenever the computer switches between AC and battery power. It works vice-versa as well, when running on battery power only.

ANOTHER WORKAROUND As I was going through all of this, I discovered that changing the power configuration from "Power Saver" to "HP Recommended (Recommended)" the messages stopped. I did this however while the battery was removed, and it is possible that the battery should be out when you do this.

ALSO, Our OEM adapter by the way is 65 watts -- people on other forums suggested that anything under 60 watts should be replaced no matter what.  We had it plugged into a very old surge protector, which conceivably could have been robbing power. So we now have it directly in the wall. (Did this after stopping messages with the different power config, so I don't know if it would have worked -- but try it anyway).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Have you updated the BIOS for your PC??

is it under warranty???

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

No, we are no longer under warraanty, nor have we updated the BIOS. Can you give me advice on how to do the latter?

HP Recommended

May i know the operating system you are using?? and version whether it is 32-bit or 64 bit...

Aslo plz tell me the product number (p/n) written on a white sticker at the bottom of the notebook

||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

NON-OPTIMAL WORKAROUND  I discovered that if you simply remove the battery while using the computer in AC mode. the messages stop. Apparently they appear whenever the computer switches between AC and battery power. It works vice-versa as well, when running on battery power only.

ANOTHER WORKAROUND As I was going through all of this, I discovered that changing the power configuration from "Power Saver" to "HP Recommended (Recommended)" the messages stopped. I did this however while the battery was removed, and it is possible that the battery should be out when you do this.

ALSO, Our OEM adapter by the way is 65 watts -- people on other forums suggested that anything under 60 watts should be replaced no matter what.  We had it plugged into a very old surge protector, which conceivably could have been robbing power. So we now have it directly in the wall. (Did this after stopping messages with the different power config, so I don't know if it would have worked -- but try it anyway).

HP Recommended

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, VM085UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Plz download and install these drivers:

Chipset

BIOS

||

HP Recommended

Thank you! I am updating the BIOS as we speak.

HP: maybe you should suggest to people that they try plugging into the wall directly and/or changing the power config. -- also make sure the one they have has 60 watts or above. Simple fixes! Nice to update the BIOS anyway, but "make sure it's plugged in [correctly]" might be easier for less tech-savvy users.

HP Recommended

POSTSCRIPT: I called HP phone support, and the Man from India took about 15 minutes to get my personal information, serial number of the machine, etc., and after all that he refused to give me any suggestions unless I purchased an extended warranty! Maybe -- just maybe it would have been better customer service to ask about the warranty issue up front and stop wasting my time! He also was recalcitrant when i refused to give a phone number -- I told him three times that we prefer not to disclose our phone numbers, to avoid getting sales calls. The third time, I said very slowly, "CAN  YOU  PLEASE  PUT  DOWN  'CUSTOMER   PREFERS   NOT   TO   DISCLOSE   NUMBER'"? He said, "Oh yes sir, of course we can do that for you sir -- just hold a moment."  Two minutes of silence passed, and he came back on and said, "So what is your telephone number please?" My GOD I wanted to strangle the phone!!

HP Recommended

LOL

but you should understand that it is normal procedure and they have to follow it... they need every details before they start assisting you...

and you can get assured that HP will not disclose your telephone number or any personal information... it is highly confidential...

however... regarding your issue....

please let me know the status...

in general updating BIOS resolves the issue...but plugging it directly  and without battery is a good idea but it is not a permanent fix... 🙂

||

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.