Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a 2 year old HP dv6 2150us  laptop with Windows 7 64bit OS.

Whenever I am trying to charge my laptop through plugin,  the battery icon is displaying a notification "Plugged in, not charging".

How to fix this issue?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

It may be worth trying the following.

First of all, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shut down the notebook again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have a DV7t quad edition with a 9cell battery that has charging issues. The battery never fully charges and goes to either 99%, 97%,93% and, 77% and stops sometimes showing not charging and a white LED flashes. i was just wondering if this method will work on my laptop aswell???    also my left UBS hubs only work sometimes aswell

HP Recommended

I have an HP dv6 as well, with the same problem. I just got the laptop less than a week ago, so it can't be a problem with the battery or power cord. I just tried the suggested method exactly, and it didn't help. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Found a solution that worked. I had to "train" the battery. Here are the steps I took:

- Disconnect AC

- Run battery until under 20% power

- Shut down

- Connect AC

- Wait a few hours for it to charge to 100%*

- Turn it on

- Rinse and repeat for good measure**

* - Don't turn the computer on during this time. My theory is that the battery needs to learn where "full" is, and if it starts discharging before it gets there, it could mess the process up. Also, booting into Windows during the process may mean the "plugged in, not charging" message will still appear.

** - This is probably unnecessary, since the problem was solved in the original steps, but it made me feel better to run it again. It's probably good for the battery anyway.

This solution was inspired by an app I have on my iPod Touch that tells me to run a similar procedure (run to 20%, charge to 100%) every month or s to improve battery life. I figured the same principle might apply to laptop batteries. Some Google searches helped my idea gain credibility as a solution, and the results confirmed it.

HP Recommended

What you describe is very similar to the calibration instructions in this HP article.

More on checking and calibrating the battery.

You said, " the battery needs to learn where "full" is," and that is what the calibration does.

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
This worked for me ... thank you so much!!!!! I thought I was going to have to send my computer in which I didn't want to do! I don't know why the tech support person didn't have me do these steps !!! Life Saver !!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it worked :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

HI michkirk,

I have this problem a lot. You indicated that one of the solutions here worked for you. Can you please reply to this message and tell me which one it was?

~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the right is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

HP Recommended

I am having a similar battery issue.  I went on vacation and left my  laptop on buy unplugged.  When I came back, I my battery will not charge - it says 16% available, (plugged in , not charging).  The laptop goes dead immediately when the power cord is not in use.

I would like to try the method you describe above, but it requires starting the laptop with just the battery, but I cannot do that.

Of note, I tried to do a system restore to a point before I left for vacation, but I receive an error that the system restore was not completed.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

It may be worth trying the following.

First of all, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shut down the notebook again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards,

DP-K

HP Recommended

Hello pvmc0624,

Your notebook is not charging.

You can follow those steps just leave everything connected.

Also do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Here is a link that will show you how to test and calibrate your battery.

Let me know how everything goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.