cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Gan_Javi
Level 2
25 14 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" error

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post, so excuse any lame questions or such please.

About two months ago I purchased a new HP Envy 15 j063ei Laptop through my bank in South Africa. It has been running fine for the most part. Every now and then things would slow down a bit (but I think that might be because I have a few Steam games installed on here at the moment). I purchased the PC with Windows 8 on it and am yet to upgrade to 8.1. When I asked a technician at my local computer shop about it he said that I must wait as there are some machines that crash with it. This is my first time with my own laptop so I choose to follow the advice of those I deem experts.

Two nights ago when I got home from work I opened my laptop up and got a message saying that it will restart in an hour to complete an update that wasn't completed. I never started an update, but I immediately selected restart for it to complete. After words everything worked fine. Then last night when I opened it I got a message which after googling is called by some the "Blue Screen of Death". It says the following:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

We're just collecting some error info, and then

we'll restart for you. (percentage counter)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (netr28x.sys)"

I have never had this message before yesterday evening.

Shortly after restarting I changed only one second in the BIOS. I disabled the "FN" key option as I wanted to use the Function keys without having to press the "FN" button. After the update for some reason that was enabled again. I again disabled it and everything was like before.

This problem only occurs if I open my laptop after a few hours (I assume after it really shuts down). When I go to bed at night I only close my laptop lid. I never actually Shut Down. I googled this and someone said it might be that the RAM was going. But there were many other answers as well.

I should add that I do not know exactly what the update the other evening was for actually.

Apart from my laptop being a bit slower now, once it restarts I can't see any other problems. But it does bother me that this might lead to larger issues later one.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to fix it if possible, or should I take it back for a checkup (it is under warantee)?

12 REPLIES 12
datdit
Level 4
74 74 5 9
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it seems software (wireless driver specificly) related, if you can start up in safe mode, you can uninstall wireless (Ralink) drivers then search for a suitable-working one, or you can get someone do this for you

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Gan_Javi
Author
Level 2
25 14 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks datdit,

Would you tell me where I would be able to download the new drivers after uninstalling them? And how do I get into safe mode? Like I said, I have never had my own computer so this is all still new to me.

Thanks

datdit
Level 4
74 74 5 9
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

drivers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5393...

safe mode:

read this (method 4, 5 or 6 can be helpfull to you)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

if you have a Windows installation disc, boot from it and select repair options, if you dont

try F9 and see if there is an option like recovery, system recovery  etc by which you can access to Advanced Startup

Gan_Javi
Author
Level 2
25 14 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I didn't get a Windows DVD with my computer. It came pre-loaded, and that was that. I manually shut my pc down and about 30 minutes later I rebooted it. I didn't get the blue screen, but after eventually opening up to my Windows 8 tile screen I did get a popup that said that my computer had to restart. Even though it didn't jump or anything. The thing is, the rebooting process took a at least twice as long as before. And my laptop is also very slow. When I press the windows button to jump to desktop mode, for the first time the icons took about 10 seconds to appear.

It is just extremely slow and bogged down right now.

I don't know enough about computers to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I will see how things go, but tomorrow I will call my local HP support and see if I can do anything or get anything done before taking my laptop in. The time to get it there and back makes it a last resort...

Thanks for the tips.

datdit
Level 4
74 74 5 9
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you welcome,

another thing you can do is "resetting" windows,

PC Settings > General >

- Refresh your PC without affecting your files:

you will not loose your documents, photos, etc

- Remove everything and reinstall Windows:

everything will be deleted, your documents will not be saved, so be carefull

prakashveni
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi team,

In my Pc - HP pavilion A4  getting PC ran into problem many times.

please look on it and solve my issue.

prakash

[edited phone number by Moderator]

george-p
Retired
Retired
15,312 9,242 123 369
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @prakashveni ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums.  I needed to edit your post and remove your phone number. In accordance with our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
tauqeersamakram
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello team,
I am also facing this problem when I update windows 8 to windows 8.1 during installation its says your pc ran into a problem needs to restart and its roll back to previous windows. I don't know how to fix this problem I have a hp- pavilion ts sleekbook b172tx. Please sir help me I want windows 8.1 badly.
datdit
Level 4
74 74 5 9
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

have you tried to upgrade from a fresh installation?

(reset your windows, keep your personal data, and try again to upgrade, may help)

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation