cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Penmin
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

reinstalled Windows XP sp2 and drivers and still need to update Windows XP - need help

I just reinstalled Windows XP sp2 and the drivers, but still need to update Windows XP.

I would really appreciate instructions on how to do this properly.  In the past (on another PC), I had issues after trying to update Windows.  If I recall correctly, I had installed an update; however, should have installed another update first - go figure.  Microsoft Download Manager will not even run until I update Windows XP.

I want to make sure any updates are done correctly and in correct order if that is important.

Look forward the help.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 20
Level 20
109,673 99,850 15,584 23,946
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

reinstalled Windows XP sp2 and drivers and still need to update Windows XP - need help

Hi:

I would download and run the XP SP3 standalone update and then see if Windows Update will work.

Link below. Ignore the references to Network Installation -- IT Professionals.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

0 Kudos
Penmin
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you once again. XP sp3 installed and was then also able to update IE.

I have such awesome success on this forum...don't know what took me so long to sign up.

Not sure if this is the proper way of going about another question....just ask or put up another post???

Let me know if I need to post separately, but original blue screen, then reinstalled XP, drivers, & updates.  Since I reinstalled XP and was able to get to the start menu - the boot up takes about 15 minutes and am afraid it is the hard drive.  Do you know of anysites that offer free diagnostic utility tools for this.  The hard disk properties listed 'WL80GLSA854'.  Any assistance is appreciate and will post separately if necessary.

Penny

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Penny.

Is there a hard drive diagnostics test in the BIOS of your PC?

Many PC's have a diagnostics menu in the BIOS.

You may want to check there.

You can also run the checkdisk utility that is found in Windows.

Here are the instructions for running the checkdisk utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method2

I would follow the instructions listed under the How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer option.

Best Regards,

Paul

Penmin
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Paul,

I have to thank you once again.  Wow, the laptop now boots up in less the 2 minutes.  AMAZING!!!

It is like new.  I truly can't thank you enough.

It would be helpful if I knew how you are able to find these drivers.  I have another laptop that crashed in 2007 & had put it in storage. Yesterday, I decided to try & see if I could revive it and low and behold....I did it; however, it has different devices and would love to know how to find them myself rather than always burden someone else....excellent learning process for me.

With most sincere gratitude,

Penny

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Penny.

I would need to know the full model # of the notebook and what operating system it is running in order to provide assistance to you for that device.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation