Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15.6 Touch Screen Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a 15.6 touch screen laptop from Best Buy earlier this month.  I went through the setup pages, inputting my name, email, and other info. The email was from a microsoft account, so it synced with the laptop to make email available on the toolbar without needing to log in.

Windows updated. I put on Norton and Itunes. Then it wanted to restart. I said ok. It said "restarting" with the circle of dots going for about 1/2 hour before I did a hard reset. This happened 2 more times when attemting to restart.

At this point it was obvious that the laptop was not working properly. So, I decided I was going to return it. When I attempted to start it up the the next day (yesterday), it just sat with a blank screen. I had to hard reset twice before it started up. I immediately uninstalled Itunes and Norton. Then I attempted to perform a reset, choosing the recycling PC option. The reset completed, but said that all the personal files had not been removed and to try again. I tried again, and it failed. After a second failed attempt, I chose the HP Troubleshoot and Customer Support option. I then used the Recovery Manager reset the Windows partition side of the hard drive and reinstall all software. This completed successfully. I then tried the "Recycle PC" reset again. It seemed to be going well, but got to 41% complete after 3 hours, and stayed there for another 1.5 hours before I did a hard reset. Upon restarting, it said the reset had not removed all personal files.

And, that is where I am now.

I need to return this by March 25th (Saturday) to get a refund. My concern is what personal info might be left on the laptop that others might be able to access. Was the Recovery Manager reset enough to remove this information? Is there something I am doing wrong with the Reset to PC (recycling) option that is wil not complete?

Any advice would be appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HP Recovery Manager formatted the Windows partition (where any personal info is) and reinstalled Windows. There should not be any personal info left on the laptop.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. That's what I was hoping to hear!

One more question, though. Do you know why, when I ran Reset to PC (recycling option) after completing the Recovery Manager, it said not all the personal files had been removed? Was that just because it had only made it to 41% and didn't run completely?

HP Recommended

Possibly because they were no personal files and the program mainly looks for documents,photos,etc,

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

That makes sense, since I didn't have any on to begin with. Nothing for it to find. Thanks for your assistance!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.