Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook Windows 10

When I start up my laptop I am greeted by the following message.

''scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete''

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @longjohn1975, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you start up your PC you are getting an error- scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try performing a hard reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.
Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

Try running system diagnostics on your PC from F2 and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @longjohn1975, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you start up your PC you are getting an error- scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try performing a hard reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.
Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

Try running system diagnostics on your PC from F2 and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there,

Thank you for your detailed response.  I am going to try your suggestions this evening and I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you once again

Regards,

John

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Your suggestions worked.

What can I say but thank you very much.

The issues seemed to start when I tried to install a new Ubuntu operating system.

I have Ubuntu installed on my own laptop and I just wanted to install it on the HP laptop and then it started to malfunction somewhat.

Anyway thank you for your advice it was much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi! @longjohn1975! You're welcome and thanks for your generous response and time,

I am very glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a Windows 10 HP Notebook, that is stuck on scanning and reparing drive 0 % (been like it for an hour or so) after a BIOS update.  This was due to the notebook suddenly turning off and after doing a hard reset, is now stuck on this screen. I Ieft it overnight on checking for disc error,  (or similar) in the HP logo screen, but nothing happened after that.  Just completed a BIOS system update and now left in this.  Any help please?

HP Recommended

Hi @liesl71

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to windows and it is stuck on disk repair.

I’d love to help!

I recommend you to hard shutdown the computer (Press and hold the power button until the computer goes off) then I recommend you to run a hardware test on your computer to make sure all the

hardware components are working fine.

Follow steps in the below article to run the test.

http://hp.care/2oFvgJj

If the system test pass, follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2oFlOWC

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi.I have a HP pavilion PC. Recently a notification popped up saying that I there was a problem with drive C. The instruction was to press the restart button that was beside the notification. On pressing it went to scanning and repairing drive c and it stopped at 4%.Since then I have been unable to access my windows 10..I've tried all the different suggestions given but none seems to be working. This has been going for 4 days.. What do I do? I need help
HP Recommended

Hi @Glo5,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the computer powers on but does not boot into Windows anymore. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC?

When was the last time it worked?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer.

Run a extensive test on the System as well as on the Hard drive from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If the test fails, this clearly indicates a possible hardware failure with the PC. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If the test passes, I would suggest you try to perform a System recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Will this restart the entire computer back to the original state when you bought it or will everything just be same when you last left it?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.