Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion model dv6-6b27nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

usb ports are not working.  one usb port on left never worked properly...only will work with certain things like my keyboard, fitbit, etc., but not with my external back up system.  My right usb ports currently work for my wireless mouse and iphone, and worked until recently for other devices, but recently stopped working for my external back up as well as my tablet, camera, etc.  file manager / device manager does not show/recognize anything plugged into these usb ports.  However, just today, when i plugged in my external back up it made that "sound" but still no recognition elsewhere.  Please help.  Have not tried to download new drivers yet.  Have tried some simple steps i found online, but they have not worked.  Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@LiLu92

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand some USB ports aren't working on your computer though you've tried a few steps to resolve the issue on your own,

I'm glad you've made an attempt and I'd love to know more details of what exactly is it that you've attempted?

That said, I also needed to know if you've tried performing a system restore to earlier time the USB ports had been working? if you haven't tried it: Click here for details.

And In the meantime, you can attempt a few more steps listed below to help your cause:

Uninstalling USB Root Hubs: Uninstalling USB Root Hubs forces the system to reinstall the root hubs next time the computer is started. Use the following steps to uninstall USB Root Hubs:

1. Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

The Device Manager window opens.

3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.

4. Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.

Click OK to confirm.

5. Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.

6. Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

Click here for more details and steps.

Keep me posted for more,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Run UEFI diagnostics, power on unit and tap on F2 to access it.

From the component test choose USB ports test 

https://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=7900590&MEID=3586EFE5-760C-466B-BE38-71ED85D2B7C6 

If it fails its a harware issue.

If it passes run windows 10 windows update and check if there is chipset or MEI drivers that needs to be updated. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.