Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,896 Views)

sound issues on DV7-1211TX in Ubuntu

Hey peeps

I have a DV7-1211TX and am experiencing some sound issues in Ubuntu 9.04.  I am getting a constant clicking noise. I have done a number of searches on the net regarding this and a number of fixes relating specifically to the intel HD sound in 9.04.  I tried a number of the different fixes relating to the identification of the sound card but to no avail.

I then found the following site

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

and the following quote from the site

If you have an HP dv4, dv5, and perhaps a dv7 model series laptop, you may have sound issues. ex: HP Pavilion dv4 1225, HP Pavilion dv5 1044ca, etc...

- this fix work greet with Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04) 30 apr 2009

- the alsa developers have a solution for this issue:

The cause, according to some alsa developers, is an incorrect 'pin' assignment (in the BIOS, perhaps) whereby sound output meant for the internal speakers gets routed to the wrong place.

They have a fix there which i tried and all that did was break my ubuntu install and cause problems with my vista install by corrupting data on the drive.

I tried dropping back to ubuntu 8.10 but similar issues.

Has anyone experienced this problem or come up with a solution which does in fact work.

Regards

Steffan

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 2 (1,725 Views)

Re: sound issues on DV7-1211TX in Ubuntu

This seems like a long time for no reply. I hope it's not too late to get it solved.
I used the guide at this link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=331172  (See edit at end of reply.)

on my HP DV7 and it worked like a charm. The only difference is, is that I'm using 9.04.
I don't see any changes that he describes that might make a difference between 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04.

I hope this helps and it isn't too late for you to get it working,
Sambion

Edit:
in his fix he tells you to edit :
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
you need to edit:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

that's the only thing I had to do differently to get my sound working great.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation