cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
29 24 0 3
Message 11 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

spectre - display drive stops working and recovers HD Graphics 520

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations.

None of the suggestions have worked.  So, I will again take the computer back to the store to see if they have any ideas.  From what I have found on the Internet, there are many people have this same problem with their Windows 10 computers.  And, it appears to be a Bios problem.  One would think that HP would fix this problem - if the store cannot fix, I will purchase a different brand of computer.

0 Kudos
AllanSMW Tutor
Tutor
20 17 0 3
Message 12 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mines got worse- once a week I'm getting a BSOD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 13 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This seems to be affecting an aful lot of people.  I too bought a spectre 360 - top of the line copper edition 512 ssd/8GB ram.  From day 1, I got the graphics driver stopped responding and recovered successfully error - the system ran diagnostics (boot diags, not inside windows) with no problem.  It also had some possibly unrelated issues with the wireless 2x2 card disappearing from the system while being used about 3 times, and one disappearance of the touchpad.  Those other two hardware issues seemed to be confined to the first unit I purchased.  I returned that unit to HP and got a second unit; it still had the graphics error as well as a group of dead pixels (about 2 rows of 7-8 pixels) right where minimize/maximize button is in the upper right corner, so it had to be returned.  I'm now on the 3rd system, which on day 2 also has the same graphics driver issue.  For roughly every 15 stopped & recovered errors, I get a blue screen of death. 

When I've called HP, their troubleshooting agent, they seem to think this is all my system - their extent of troubleshooting is first run hardware diags, if no errors then re-image ssd, and finally return&exchange the system.  I've found several other people who have the exact same problem.  I installed the program "WhoCrashed" to read the memory dumps from BSOD which all pointed back to the graphics driver.

From my experience, the owner must actively be using and interacting with the system to cause a failure.  I've never had a problem streaming HD video, e.g. amazon/netflix for over 6 hours at a time.  The problem (for me at least) arises when the keyboard is heavily used OR the touchpad scrolls to the end of a very long webpage quickly, especially on webpages with complex elements of text and photos (example: ebay listing of auctions containing the word "THE", then scroll rapidly to the bottom of the bottomless webpage)  I've had the problem running several different programs succh as microsoft word with fast typing & long documents. 

To document these issues, I photograph the BSOD with a camera and use the screen dump to onedrive for a record of the "... recovered" errors in the lower right display.  Tomorrow, I'll send the latest batch of errors to support.  What is worse is their response is based on the premise something is not right with just my machine(s), yet I'm not the only person with this issue.

Has anyone else found a way to motivate HP service to open a dialogue with Intel (or Microsoft) as they are responsible for O/S support on the terms of MS's OEM sales?  Most of the complaints seem to be late 2015 (Nov-Dec).  Has anyone been told of a driver change that impacted those shipments?

This is very fustrating because I like the hardware platform of the spectre ultrabook, but reliability is crucial on this platform.

EFB

Intern
Intern
29 24 0 3
Message 14 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I took my Spectre back to the Geek Squad yesterday.  I had a "picture" of the error, and also a "dump" I did.  We will see what happens.

I am wondering if this is an HP problem.  If it is, and there is no "fix" for it, I am planning to return the Spectre and buy a different brand.

Does anyone know if this is an HP problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 24 0 3
Message 15 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I forgot to say this in my post.

My error has now changed to saying "Display Driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers For Windows 8(R) Stopped Responding And Successfully Recovered".  There is another post in this forum - "

Display Driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8 (R) Stopped Responding ---"

I have begun posting respondes there as well.

Maybe together we can all figure this out!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FijiShark Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had the same problem on a new Spectre received just after Christmas. My research (via Adobe and Intel) indicated the Blue Screen is being caused by the Intel Graphics 520. Intel released a new driver download on dec 22 which apparently corrected the problem (according to some Dell users) I tried to download the driver from the Intel web site, but it would not let me install it (thanks for checking Intel), and indicated that my 520 had specialized drivers designed for/by the computer manufacturer...and suggested I contact the computer manufacturer.

Sooooooo. HP, where is the new release from you that will fix this problem???

BTW - the New Intel Driver for 520 is 15.40.14.4352, released Dec 22, 2015

0 Kudos
Rich79 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 17 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All 

I have the same error message appearing on my new Pavilion x360 convertible. The error message usualy appears when scolling through a web page on edge or chrome, especially a page that includes video. Nothing really happens to my screen display other than a slight pause.

Ive found the new driver update but cant install it because it says some file is already being used by another process (i did post another question about the install problem). I'll check back here too to see if any answers materialise. Thanks for all the info so far 

Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 version: 10.18.15.4256 (17/07/2015)

Rich M

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
40 34 0 7
Message 18 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rich -

This seems to be an ongoing issue with multiple people and multiple systems.  There was an update to the intel 520 driver posted on 25 Dec 2015 (someone was working overtime).  I've installed that, and shortly after reboot my system froze again.  That's not the final fix.

This seems to require heavy interaction with the system to cause a problem - typing in email, or ms-word, or scrolling through a long complex webpage in any browser (such as ebay with 200 listings with photos).  If there is no interaction (example - watching streaming video on netflix) - then it doesn't seem to happen, at least not often enough to be noticed. 

For about every 15-25 momentary (5-6 second) freeze / black error box problems, I have one blue screen of death.   Those seem to be much less frequent with everyone who has kept documentation on this fault.

There are notes about this issue surfacing on other sites within HP's forum, as well as other manufacturers websites.  What is irritating is Intel's response that your hardware vendor (in this case HP) may customize intel's product, therefore it's up to them to support it.  HP support seems to work on a strict script for interaction with customers - run diags, roll back operating system & install new drivers, and if that doesn't fix it re-image the SSD to factory.  I've done this multiple times with 3 different units and still have the problem.

Note the absence of any further comments from HP in regards to this issue.

If anyone hears of a more recent fix from intel/hp than the 25 dec 2015 release, please let us all know on the forums here.  Thanks!

EF Basham

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
29 24 0 3
Message 19 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I got my computer back from the Geek Squad.

They installed BIOS and Video driver updates.  They tested the computer by looking at videos and pictures and could no longer make the error occur.  They told me that if the issue recurs, they recommend doing a system restore on the computer.

So far, so good.  Let's hope this fixed the problem!

0 Kudos
AllanSMW Tutor
Tutor
20 17 0 3
Message 20 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Load up any browser, Firefox or Chrome for sure, and try scrolling through a pages.

Or indeed just leave it open and see whether it dies...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation