Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavillion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install an SSD into my HP Pavillion dv7 LR730PA#ABG.  Can anyone tell me if the Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb SSD would be compatible with my computer?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: Page 56-59
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278

Yes, Samsung 850 EVO SSD would work.

You can put 2.5 inch SATA SSD in primary hard drive bay, make it boot drive.

Move hard drive to secondary bay and use it for storage purely.

You need this part for placing and connecting it to board:
Hard Drive Hardware Kit (includes bracket, connector cable, shield, and screws) : 641306-001�

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks - I'll try it out.  

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

HP Recommended

OK - I've now bought a Samsung 850 EVO.  My computer has two drives so I was able to take out the D drive and plug the new SSD into that spot.  With the Samsung Data Migration software, I was able to simply clone my C drive onto the new SSD.  That all appeared to be successful.  Then I moved the SSD to the C drive spot, and replaced the old D HDD into its old spot.  When I try to boot the computer now, I just get the message "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

Am I missing something here?  Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?  Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

HP Recommended

So is HDD formatted now?

You need to delete Windows boot manager/loader or delete C:\ drive from HDD and put it to secondary bay.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I have not used my old C drive.  The HDD in the secondary bay is still the same drive that was originally in that bay - no boot manager on that drive (just backup and storage).

It appears that the Samsung migration software has partitioned the new SSD because when I temporarily replace the old C drive into the primary drive slot and new SSD into the secondary slot, I have in File Explorer: Local Disk (C:)  915GB (presumably my old C: drive), Local Disk (D:) 99.9GB, RECOVERY (E:) 15.9GB, Local Disk (G:) 465 GB and HP_TOOLS (H:) 98.7GB.  The HDD is nominally 1TB and the new SSD is nominally 500GB.  Am I confusing things here?

I don't know which of the above partitioned drives are on which physical drives.

Could it be that the boot partition on the SSD is not found when I have the SSD in the primary slot because of an incorrect drive designation?  Or do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond so far - do you have any more suggestions?

HP Recommended

No need to change anything in BIOS.

Drive letters are assigned automatically by system to partitions.

After cloning C:\ drive system partitions from HDD to SSD, you put back SSD in the primary bay. Also you've to format hard drive and put it in secondary bay. Then you'll be able to boot from SSD in primary bay.

HP Recommended

OK - I've now recloned my C: drive to the new SSD.  In the Samsung Data Migration software, there is an option to add partitions on the target disk pane which I clicked this time.  After moving the SSD to the primary drive spot, I can now boot normally.  This is the only difference since the first attempt aside from updating Windows 10 to the latest version.

I do now have another problem.  I have replaced my old 😧 drive into the secondary slot but the computer doesn't seem to recognise it is there - any suggestions on this one?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.