cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

synaptics touchpad not reconised

pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unable to use multitouch settings , not sure when this happened but it used to work fine and was able to scroll , 4 finger tap , 3 finger touch ect with my touchpad.

Now the touchpad isn't reconised, instead ps/2 mouse pointer appears in the advanced settings under mouse and touchpad. I have tried updating software  driver and selecting synaptics drivers instead, but this also doesn't work. I get an error message saying 'This operation requires an interactive window station.'

I have downloaded the latest synaptics driver from their site (Windows 10 PS/2 & SMBus Devices v19.0.19.1) still same error message.

Thanks in advance,

and if anyone can help with a maybe related problem , my keyboard will sometimes not function; correctly problem started not long ago either, maybe the same;  when pressing the letters 't', y, 5 ,6' this types instead 't5,y6, t5 ,y6' amongst other keys (makes typing very difficult haha)

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 485 934
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @Onyxmagic,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I see you are unable to use multi-finger gestures on the touchpad. Glad to help.

Could you please help us with the product number of your notebook?

Was there any liquid spill on the computer?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Recommend you to open device manager, uninstall the keyboard and touchpad/mouse, delete the driver when prompted. 

Restart the computer. 

Run HP Support Assistant to scan for driver updates and diagnose the issue. Click here for assistance. 

Please provide the product number for better assistance. 

Also, refer to this article for assistance in troubleshooting touchpad issues, configuring multi-finger gestures. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

Thanks for your help I'll start applying your suggestions.

I also haven't spilt anything on the laptop, so could the keys be malfunctioning due to dirt/dust or something? I have had a faulty keyboard on the laptop in the past which was replaced under warranty, (currently the keyboard is working perfectly right now...)  and I wonder if I will have to do this again?

My product number is: E9J38EA#ABU 

Thank you , ill update you as soon as possible, 

Annie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 485 934
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Do check for driver updates using HP Support Assistant and you can also diagnose issues using the same. 

If it is working fine, you can still run diagnostics. If it passes, you can continue to use the computer. If it fails, you can contact our phone support for the service options. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation