cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jasho Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

system32\credssp.dll\ error - bad image

Hello, new to this forum. Using my daughters HP Pavilion slimline 3010n. A pop up window keeps popping up with this message " C\windows\system32\credssp.dll is either not responding on windows or it contains an error" This message has appeared with various programs such as "aoltsp.exe - bad image" or windows defender- bad image etc. I have researched for the past week and have not found a solution to this annoying pop up. It's a shared file I believe but I don't know how to fix it.

I have run Norton's registry check on it etc and fix errors.

Installed "Fix It 10" Had it run a diagnostic and fix errors.

Used Windows to run check disk, defragment etc

No solutions. If anyone if having a similar problem I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
jasho Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

system32\credssp.dll\ error - bad image

Since no one has replied to this message I'll let you know what I've done to fix it. I first located the file on the C drive then went to the Windows folder; opened the System32 folder; found the file credssp.dll and deleted it. Took some time to get through the administrative blocks to remove the file. I did this AFTER I ran Norton and found that fewer than 10 users on the the Norton Community used this file. I then copied the same file from my other computer (although it's Windows XP) and placed it in the same folder etc as the previous credssp.dll file. No more pop ups with that annoying error "**** exe bad image". Everything on the computer seems to be ok. I took a chance doing this; however, I knew that I could restore the file if needed from the recycle bin.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation