cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mmoose Tutor
Tutor
8 8 0 1
Message 11 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

HP Support had me update to the latest BIOS.  Still no joy and it was suggested I may need to  send the machine in for repair.  Before I do that I want to make sure that this isn't some kind of software/firmware problem that slipped through the first shipments.  I need the computer and hate to part with it. 

A MacBook runnng Windows also enumerates Thunderbolt as multiple "PCI-to-PCI Bridges" so that is normal.  But at the same time it also lists "Thunderbolt" in device manager.  So the Intel Thunderbolt chip is at least partially detected.

Since this is "Expert Day" are there any experts out there that want to chime in?  Does Thunderbolt work properly on most of these notebooks and can i assume this is faulty hardware?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Associate Professor
922 881 66 357
Message 12 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Hello,

THanks for your posts on the Thunderbolt problem, basically we need to see if the driver is Win 8 certified, here are a few things to check

Requirements:

•Thunderbolt onboard controller *  ( Check )
•Thunderbolt device
•Thunderbolt cables
•Windows 7 or Windows 8 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) – not XP
Thunderbolt certified for Windows devices
for devices being added
•Devices are only supported for hot-plug support with Thunderbolt certified for Windows driver
•Not an upgrade or aftermarket option–fully integrated on the system board

Only notebooks with Thunderbolt integrated on the system board based on the Panther Point chipset (Z75 or Z77

•Thunderbolt certified for Windows device driver must be on device.
•Windows may only recognize devices which are Thunderbolt certified for Windows.

We will need to check the driver and see if it on the supported TBolt Page

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
mmoose Tutor
Tutor
8 8 0 1
Message 13 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Thanks for your response. 

Which driver are you referring to?  When I plug in a Thunderbolt adapter, either on power up or hot docking, Windows 8 doesn't ask for a driver or show a non-functioning device in device manager.  Nor does the Thunderbolt chip (presumably an Intel Cactus Ridge DSL3310) show up in any form.  Windows doesn't ask for any kind of driver or show a device that one can be installed for.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
13 13 0 7
Message 14 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

I just updated everything this morning: bios, hp updates, windows updates. Still nothing. Please keep this thread alive. I need to get to the bottom of this as well. Thanks for the updates!

0 Kudos
Moray Tutor
Tutor
21 19 0 0
Message 15 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

I have been working on this - the drive I have is the Buffalo 1TB and the usb works great - the thunderbolt works on a mac but not on the Spectra - following the thunderbolt for pc link posted earlier the drive is not listed and further checking with Bufalo the thhunderbolt port is only officially certified for mac OS.  I guess this is all so new still but it would be great if someone could actually post what the deal is. And if there are external portable drives certified and tested on the Spectra.

I am leaving this open because it is an issue that I think will get sorted in time.  We just need to hear from someone at HP who really knows what the TBolt deal is for their product.

0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 16 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

You will not see Thunderbolt under Windows device manager on the notebook. When we refer to the device driver, we're referring to the actual device - such as the external drive or monitor that you might be using your thunderbolt port on the spectre XT with. The previous response provided a link to the certified devices -which is updated almost daily it seems - but the device you're connecting must be certified for it to respond to the Win7 or Win8 desktop.  The spectre XT motherboard supports the connection, but the device needs to be certified to work with it. If I understand you're problem correctly, the BIOS update -although a good idea to be up-to-date - shouldn't have affected your issues with Thunderbolt.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 17 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

The deal is that it's a Windows/Intel thing - the device manufacturers are just now rolling out Windows supported devices, and the spectre XT with the thunderbolt port became available before many certified devices were available. It is subtle, I agree. I prefer a PC to a Mac myself, so I was also disappointed to find that the PC supported devices were slow to come out. And it is also frustrating to have to dig around to figure out whether your device is certified when it should be just written plainly. Some manufacturers were very cagey about it I thought.  I hope this makes it clear for you and others, and good luck.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 18 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

this is not the correct diagram for the spectre XT with the thunderbolt.
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
mmoose Tutor
Tutor
8 8 0 1
Message 19 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

The adapters I'm trying to use are Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet and Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters.  Both are listed on the Thunderbolt site and both work just fine on a Mac booted into Windows 7.  In that case Thunderbolt does show up as a separate device in Device Manager and the Ethernet or FireWire chips show up as being connected to one of the PCI-to-PCI bridges that pop up.   So, it's not a Windows issue unless it's one that has cropped up within Windows 8.  We haven't tried Windows 8 on the Mac yet.

Inside the adapters are Thunderbolt to PCIe bridge chips and the Ethernet and FireWire chips should get detected just as if they were on a local PCIe bus within the machine.  At that point Windows should prompt for a driver for the particular part (Broadcom BCM57762 for the Ethernet adapter) and we will need to install a Windows certified driver.  The fact that the parts don't even show up indicated either the Spectre isn't supplying the proper power over Thunderbolt or the Thunderbolt chip within the Spectre isn't being set up properly.

It would be nice if someone who works for HP with direct knowledge could verify that yes, these notebooks have been fully tested to be working properly with adapters such as these before the multiple people who have posted here with problems all send back  their notebooks for repair.

0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 20 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Are these adapters sold and promised to work on "both" Macs and PCs?

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation