cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Moray Tutor
Tutor
21 19 0 0
Message 21 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

I just checked and my MiniStation Thunderbolt  Buffalo drive is now showing as Windows 7 and 8 certified - but there are no relevent downloads so I am wondering if my drive (about 3 months old) is pre-windows compatable and is somehow Mac only. I wish a rep from Buffalo would log in here and add to the conversation.

0 Kudos
mmoose Tutor
Tutor
8 8 0 1
Message 22 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

These adapters are built using standard Intel chips and according to Thunderbolt specs.  They should work on any Thunderbolt compatible computer regardless of the manufacturer.  This is the same as USB or Bluetooth certification, and they must be tested for compliance with the standard to be allowed to use the Thunderbolt logo.  The key is Thunderbolt compatibility and not Mac or PC. 

0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 23 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

mmoose - can you post a link that states thunderbolt works mac or pc ? It would be good information for the forum. It's quite different information from what the Intel site states and other sites. Thunderbolt devices which work on Macs are not necessarily going to work on PCs unless they are Windows certified to work on PCs.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
13 13 0 7
Message 24 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

FYI, we have the new Acer and Asus laptops that support Thunderbolt in our office. One is running Windows 8, the other running Windows 7. They both recognize the Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter as a firewire device in device manager. Is there another standard that HP is following for their Thunderbolt?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Associate Professor
922 881 66 357
Message 25 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

For those of you having trouble using a THunderbolt certified device such as the Buffalo and Apple adaptors.

Please try the following, make sure th devices are connected and powered up - and then turn on the Notebook with the devices already connected. Please see if this makes a difference.

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Intern
Intern
13 13 0 7
Message 26 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Thanks for replying! I tried your suggestion with the Apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter. I completely shutddown, connected the adapter and firewire device, and started back up. Unfortunately it did not work. In device manager, it just comes up with six PCI to PCI bridges under System without a distinct IEEE1394 device in the list.

Any luck with the Buffalo drive? Anybody else had luck with the Apple adapters?

Thanks again. Any help is very appreciated!

0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 27 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

If mmoose has a link or reputable source that states that an apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter works on all Windows-based notebooks, please supply it. Also, the forum would be interested in more information on the mmoose statement that thunderbolt devices work with PC or Mac regardless of certification because the Intel site suggests otherwise.

Thunderbolt devices certified for Windows notebooks running Win 7 are supported by the Spectre XT. There's a complete list of supported devices that is updated often on the Intel site. Additionally: Using an apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter defeats the purpose of Thunderbolt. The SpectreXT itself does not have a firewire port, so not sure why you want to use that cabling method to connect a Thunderbolt device to the Spectre. Without your specific configuration, I can only strongly advise that you forget the Apple firewire adapter workaround and contact your device manufacturer for more information and if necessary, return it for a newer model.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Moray Tutor
Tutor
21 19 0 0
Message 28 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

I am not using any adaptor - just simply trying to use a Buffalo Thunderbolt drive (so no external power source) and I have had the drive plugged in for a startup.

I am wondering if the actual port should be shown Device Manager and what it is referenced by? I see nothing that references THunderbolt specifically (with hidden shown)  – so not certain where or if any driver update might help.

Also, is there a specific troubleshooter from HP available yet?

0 Kudos
Tutor AndersonMel Tutor
Tutor
19 18 0 1
Message 29 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Moray -  have you tried the support from the Buffalo drive manufacturer?

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
mmoose Tutor
Tutor
8 8 0 1
Message 30 of 66
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thunderbolt spectre

Guys, the Bufallo drive, and Apple adapters aren't the problem.  It's an HP Spectre problem and either a few of us have defective notebooks or there is a problem with all of them.  As stated in prior posts, these products work on other Windows computers with Thunderbolt ports.  While the Apple adapters only show OS X on the Intel site,  the Bufallo drive is listed as working with both Win7 abd Win8 and it's not working either. 

Why would I want to use FireWire?  We make pro audio hardware that interfaces with Firewire and it would be nice to able to use it with the Spectre.  We 're also working on AVB networked audio that requires hardware features not available in the Realtek NIC used in the Sprectre and most other Windows notebooks, but that are in the Broadcom chip used in the Apple adapter and Macs.

We've considered developing with Thunderbolt, and have even signed up as Thunderbolt developers and gotten the specs under NDA.  But for our purposes, AVB with hundreds of audio channels going long distances over cheap cat-5 cable makes more sense.  I'm not being naive when I state that just like USB, PCIe, Bluetooth, etc. a Thunderbolt device that is compliant with the spec should work with other Thunderbolt devices that are also compliant with the spec.  There is a real problem here that HP needs to address.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation