cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Hartyswife
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post

Solved!

touchpad suddenly disabled on dv7

HP Recommended

Sometimes when I'm working on my laptop I'll hear a strange tone and a faint box will appear on my screen with an image of my touchpad with a red line diagonally across it.   At that point my touchpad is useless:  I can't move my mouse at all nor can I right or left click. My keyboard still works though. I have to shut down my computer to get my mouse etc. to respond again but in doing so I risk losing unsaved documents.  Why is this happpening and how can I fix it in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 24,185 9,902 11,603
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, download the latest Synaptics driver installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50594.exe

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry 'Synaptics Pointing Device Driver' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click the Synaptics installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

When windows has loaded, you may need to re-configure some of the clickpad settings - a guide on this can be found on the following document.

Using & Configuring The ClickPad.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
16 REPLIES 16
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From your description of the symbol that appears, it may be that you're accidentally turning the touchpad off.

Try the following.

Quickly double-tap the top left corner of the touchpad - does the symbol appear and the touchpad stop working?  If it does, just double-tap the top left corner of the touchpad again to turn it on.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply but unfortunately your solution may  not work.  I tried repeatedly to turn off the touchpad as you suggested but nothing happened.  Since it seems I have to wait for the touchpad to freeze itself, I can't actually try your solution to unfreeze it. You may be onto something though:  I've often thought i must be inadvertantly causing this and other strange actions; either that or my laptop has a mind of it's own lol.  Any other ideas?

DavidPK
Level 18
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your dv7 series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

LOL...your click  Here  didn't work for me either.  When I clicked it I heard a strange tic-like sound and a yellow blotch with a red exclamation mark in it appears on the white hand.  So, as I'm sure you've gathered, I'm NOT tech savvy but here's the info I found in system properties (as I'm not sure what's helpful, I listed everything):

AMD Phenom II N870 Triple-core Processor 2.30GHz

4.00GB RAM (3.74GB still usable)

64 bit Operating System

No pen or touch input available for this display

Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00010

On the bottom of my laptop there's a barcode above which reads Windows 7 Home Prem OA.  Beside the barcode is the following:  584037-001

I hope this is the information you`re asking for.  If not, please try to give me more specific help in finding what you need.  Thanks again.

I h

Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found the info under the battery. 

Model:  dv7-4223ca

Product:  LG538UA#ABC

DavidPK
Level 18
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, download the latest Synaptics driver installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50594.exe

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry 'Synaptics Pointing Device Driver' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click the Synaptics installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

When windows has loaded, you may need to re-configure some of the clickpad settings - a guide on this can be found on the following document.

Using & Configuring The ClickPad.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.  Your  instructions were very clear.  I was able to do everything you suggested.  Unfortunatly I'll only know if it worked if I never have the problem again since I don't know what precipitated herproblem.  Is it normal for my laptop to be acting weird now?   As I'm typing this my cursor keeps skipping to previous text or other areas.  It's like my cursor has ADHD.

Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.  Your  instructions were very clear.  I was able to do everything you suggested.  Unfortunatly I'll only know if it worked if I never have the problem again since I don't know what precipitated herproblem.  Is it normal for my laptop to be acting weird now?   As I'm typing this my cursor keeps skipping to previous text or other areas.  It's like my cursor has ADHD.

Tags (1)
Hartyswife
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 0
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The typo after 'precipitated' was a result of this new concern...as a matter of fact as I was typing this the 'cern' in concern skipped to the middle of the 'The' and has skipped to  bullets, bold and repeatedly to previous text.  ERG!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation