cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

ubuntu on HP

HP Recommended

I just got an HP Pavilion dv7 6c60us. I want to install Ubnutu 11.10 alongside Windows 7 which came on the machine. There are 4 primary partitions that came on the hard drive: First is SYSTEM with 199 MB, C: NTFS with 341.8 GB (I reduced the size of this partition), 😧 RECOVERY with 21.54 GB, and finally E: HP_TOOLS with 3.97 GB. There is now (since I reduced C:) 331.13 GB unallocated following C:.

Ubunty doesn't give an option to install alongside Windows with 4 partitions on the disk. Anyone able to tell me how to proceed with this task to wind up with a dual boot system?

I would like finally to be able to run windows 7 as a virtual machine on Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
27,566 27,326 2,415 8,903
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

You can only have four primary partitions on that disk.  One of them is going to be an extended partition... You already have four partitions... something is going to have to change.

There is a very good partitioning tool out there called Parted Magic

(The download is on the left side of their webpage and you can also download from other sources.  You can read about Parted Magic at various websites.)

You must keep the System partition, keep the C partition, you probably really want to keep the Recovery Partition (at the very least until you have your Recovery discs made)... The HP_Tools partition is the UEFI diagnostics.  Nice to have - not something you MUST have.   Put HP_Tools on a USB stick... maybe it will run from there.. if not, then you can live without it.

The fourth partition can be an extended (logical) partition.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you appreciate the help…

Please Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thank You"!

Is it Solved? Make it easier for other people to find the Answer:  

Please Mark my PostAccept as Solution” to say "Yes!"

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you can receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tools to do the partitioning. What I need is help knowing how to  proceed. As you say, I am trying to avoid spending time rebuilding a trashed system. The second link you gave, to an article on how to, was just an ad for your suggested partition tools. As to the first link, I don't think I need to know how to do something similar. I have read about similar installs. I hear stories that others have done what I am trying to do, but they seem a little like unicorns.

You said something has to change. Does that mean one of the directories have to go away completely, or be moved into a logical partition?I already resized the C: partition and have unused space on the drive. Does a dual boot have to overwrite the Windows boot record, and how does microsoft like that? Is that going to trash windows?

It would really seem HP could have come up with a better system set up than using all four partitions.

Thanks for your response,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Sorry about the dead link. 

I removed the links - you are right - if you don't want to read any more about it, then it is time to do the deed.

Partitions:

• System  (Keep)
  • C partition (Keep)
  • Recovery (Keep at least until you have your Windows Recovery discs made)
  • HP_Tools can be removed... see note in previous post)

• Linux has to live in a partition that you create or extend
  • You can have four primary partitions on a disk.
  • Extended / logical partitions are allowed

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply I didn't want to read any more about it. If there is something that will directly apply, I would very much like to read it. I was seeking to follow your link to a similar install. I did make startup and recovery disks first thing.

What about the dual boot information? Will that write over the windows boot sector, and will win 7 likely work after?

Thank you for your help, really!

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Here is a link to a How-to.

This one is written in "conversational" language, that is, as if the person is speaking to you.  This way of presenting informtion is either helpful or annoying depending on how you perceive such things.  The document is at least not difficult to understand and covers some interesting and important points.

The bootloader question is answered:  Yes - the loader is changed.  It will not wipe out windows.  If you do kill it, it is fixable.

How to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side

This is a very good Post by our own Experts Vidya and Daniel_Potyrala

The Post is about how to deal with the Recovery and HP_Tools partitions:

Delete "HP_Tools" and Recreate it as a logical partition

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank everyone for the very good support! I believe I am close to a solution. Using the information presented by those answering my question, this is what I have done:

1. Reduced the size of the C: partition my my HP laptop (laptop specs given in my initial question) by about half.

2. Moved HP_TOOLS to a thumb drive and deleted it from the HD.

3. Installed Ubuntu 11.10 alongside windows 7 (this install option was not available before removing HP_TOOLS).

I now have a computer that boots windows 7, and windows disk tools indicate the new partition was created by the Ubuntu install - 2 new partitions were created actually.

How do I get the machine to allow me to choose either windows or unbutu at start up?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Joe,

Did you install Grub when you installed Ubuntu?

Grub is the bootloader used to boot both Windows and Linux when you have a dual boot system.

I should think Grub would have been installed when you installed Linux.

OK.. not sure what happened here.  No worries.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use whatever works / makes the most sense to your situation...

Here are some sources to consider.  

There are more options from Google (or your favorite Search engine).

Option 1:

How to restore Grub boot loader after installing Windows

Dedoimedo - GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

Install GRUB2 on USB from Ubuntu Linux

Option 2:

• Insert your Ubuntu CD,
  • Reboot your computer and set it to boot from CD in the BIOS and boot into a live session.
  • You can also use a LiveUSB if you have created one in the past.
    After this, click "Recommended repair" and apply.
  • If you are willing to use the advanced options, make sure you leave the "Reinstall GRUB" checkbox ticked.
  • Now reboot your system.
  • The usual GRUB boot menu should appear.
  • If it does not, hold Left Shift while booting.
  • You will be able to choose between Ubuntu and Windows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Guess I was wrong about being close to a solution.

Yes, I did install the loader when I installed linux. It should have installed on the ext4 primary partition where ubuntu is installed. When I set that partition active, all I get is a no OS installed (or found maybe) error on boot.

Any suggestions without becoming a grub command line expert? That seems more like the days of dos. I can't imagine the Ubuntu linux community doesn't have a solution for this problem.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I also can't imagine the HP support people don't have a simple solution for this.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation