cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rarahartley Tutor
Tutor
16 7 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

viruses

cq58-290si
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I've got a hp compaq, I'm not sure if $recycle.bin is a virus or not,as well as autorun. I have avg updated to the latest version. Ran a scan and picked up no viruses. Is there any other way to pick out these viruses and remove them ?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
9,949 8,790 722 3,231
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

viruses

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

$recycle.bin may not necessary be a virus/threat. So for the autorun file.

These may be standard files for the Recycle bin or an autorun files to start up legitimate program.

I strongly recommend you perform scan using these free legitimate utilities:

>> ESET www.eset.com online scanner >> http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetonlinescanner_enu.exe

>> Kaspersky TDSS Killer >> https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/disinfection/5350

>> Trend Micro HouseCall >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Let me know the scan results - you may take screeshots and post it here . Remove any threats found

* * With regards to AVG - it offers poor low level of protection. Even Microsoft's Windows Defender is better when it comes to performance and protection. If you want to better protect your PC and data, I recommend you uninstall AVG and leave Windows Defender active.  I can provide you further tips and tricks if you want to.

Please, provide feedback and let me know how it goes.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
rarahartley Tutor
Tutor
16 7 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

viruses

I haven't downloaded any of the above yet. Please tell me do I have to download and install all of the above , or just one. I have used windows defender before, but I prefer scanning my removal media when inserted, windows defender does not provide that option.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9,949 8,790 722 3,231
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

viruses

Hi,

Please, use them 3 all - one after another.

Only ESET online scanner installs on-demand scanner and has an option to uninstall it after the scan completes

Kaspersky TDSS Killer and Trend Micro HouseCall just run and scan your PC - no installation. Eventually, they can be just deleted after scan.

With regards to AVG and removable media scanning:

- this is completely unnecessary as it is just for marketing purpose and for the user to be more relaxed. From technical point of view this option does not provide any extra protection. Any AV software including AVG, WD etc... scan your PC in real time - they have drivers, services, processes loaded and perform actions. Viruses that come from removable media work so that when you plug it in, it attemps to execture (there are 2 days):

- malicious autorun.inf file

- some exploit (vulnerability) in Windows

For both ways of attack, scanning the removable media when inserted (e.g. right click scan) does not prevent the malware from getting in. What will prevent is updated (patched) Windows and updated active antivirus software that can detect the malware.

There is a program that may help with regards to the first method of attach - free one called Autorun Eater :

>> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Autorun-Eater.shtml

>> https://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com/

Very small tiny program, compatible with any other AV product, works in real time and scans/monitors your PC for any suspicious or malicious autorun.inf files. If it finds one, it can erase it , therefore preventing the virus from automatically executing and automatically infecting your PC. 

You should also right click the removable media and manually choose "Open" option - never double click it to open it (because a virus might have modified the start-up menu options).

For the second attack vector - you need reliable, updated, active AV + patched OS.

AVG is also a product that will fade away soon - AVG company was acquired by Avast some time ago.

There are a lot of free (and/or cheap) ways to suplement Windows Defender and make a reliable protection (as much as Windows PC can be protected).

Provide feedback and let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation