Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MooseHP Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wIfI drops out since Windows 10 upgrade

HP Envy 17-k200na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop in May 2015 with Windows 7 OS installed and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Everything has been great, and I love Windows 10 up until a recent system update.

Since then, every time I use the laptop the wifi connection keeps dropping out.

The wifi symbol in the system tray goes greyed out with a star on it.

If I right click and select troubleshoot, the following problems are found

Problem with wireless adapter or access point                              Detected                     ! (in a yellow triangle)

The default gateway is not available                                                  Fixed                             Tick in a green circle

I then close the window and click on the wifi icon but I have no available networks despite having 2 Galaxy S5's and 2 other laptops running (this is normal amount of devices to be on).

I have done a factory reset and already lost a lot of software, and I really don't know what to do.

Can anyone please help?

Moose

3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
947 41 165
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @MooseHP,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! This is a great place to find solutions and help from our community!

I understand that you're having troubles with the wireless connection on your HP Envy 17 Notebook. I'd be happy to help you with this.

The following Document page is helpful when troubleshooting wireless connectivity issues.

Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 10)

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from HP.com but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

I would also strongly suggest running the HP Support Assistant.

The following are some helpful links for troubleshooting the HP Support Assistant or downloading the latest version:

HP Support Assistant

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8)

Run through these steps and let me know how it goes.

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

MooseHP Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Before I tried your solution I done some investigating and tried repositioning my router and that seems to have worked. So ill run it for a while to see and if it goes again I'll try your ideas
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
45 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What do you mean by "repositioning"? And is your issue resolved?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation