cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

Hi 

recently i bought Hp Pavilion DV6-1045ee

First problem: when i connect to my wirless local network in the same room with the router the file sharing is too slow and when i go to connection status it indicate an excellent signal strenght but with only 1.0 Mbps transfer speed. I have 3 other laptops in the same LAN and all of them connected wirelessly with more than 30Mbps transfer speed.

Second problem : when i go to other room I can't connect to my lan at all , the sigal sometimes low and somtimes nothing .

the starnge thing that my old hp laptop give me a full signal everywhere.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the wireless adapter 

is it a hardware issue ?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 4
103 102 3 33
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

First off, make sure you're connecting to the right network - if you don't use a unique SSID (network name) and you're just using the router default, you run the risk of connecting to a neighbor's network who's doing the same thing; using a default SSID and a similar router. What, you think you're the only one in you area using a router of the same type?

Note that if you do change your SSID to a unique name you'll need to reconnect all your systems to the router's new SSID - but it will tell you conclusively whether or not you're connecting to YOUR network or not. Believe it or not, it's actually much more common than you might think, especially now with the increased ranges of new routers.

If you are using a unique SSID, then you need to think about your Router's mode setting as well as your adapter setup. All adapters have individual parameter setups just like a router - if you don't set it up to match your Router's broadcast you won't get a good connection, if any at all. A weak signal is usually caused by a low Roaming Aggressiveness, band setting on a widely used band (always us channel 11 or an offset frequency to avoid similar devices like cordless phones). If you have mixed network devices (for example, an N router with 1 N adapter and 2 G adapters) then you need to change your Router mode to Mixed as well as the adapters and not a specified wireless band (N, G, etc.). Make sure your Router channels are offset frequencies as well, but note them so you can match your adapters.

To set your adapter,  open the Adapter Properties window, then click on Configure, then Advanced (for Intel Wireless Adapters). Go through the settings to optimize your adapter's connection. If you have a USB or other external adapter, use the adapter's admin panel to set it from your browser.

There is also an excellent program recently released by Cisco called Speed Meter Pro that will scan your network and tell you where you're losing signal from. You can get it as a full trial version for  a week. Network Magic is also a good Network Monitor program that allows you to monitor, set and change your network along with SMP. I use both and it makes it a lot easier to find problems as I have quite a few devices on my network. Network Magic is really good for setting up Sharing too - both programs come with 8 licences, so you can put it on just about everything on your network.  

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

Thank you CyberVisions

yes I am using a unique SSID and CH 11 

and as i said before sometimes  i can't see my SSID name in the search result of the networks because of the lack of signal recevied.

I adjusted the adapter's settings to comply with the router's settings but i didn't solve anything

I think old generation laptops have stronge wirless adapter (Old is Gold) and that is why I can receive full signal with the same settings.

I hope my conclusion is incorrect

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

i am having the same problem

i just bought a new HP dv6 - 6155ca - it has a intel centrino wireless n 1030 in it...... even if im 3 ft from my dd-wrt router the wifi strength is not full.... and on my old g60 i used to get FULL signal strength everywhere i needed it,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

Hi guys I had the same problem and I kinda solved it after searching for some time on the web not sure if it works for you guys but definitely worked for me.

Take off the cover of the wireless component. It's at the bottom of the laptop under the battery. Then just switch the black and white wires around. I was in public and initially had only 1 network discoverable but I can see tons of them now. Hope it works for you!
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

YES! Switching antenna wires on the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 WiFi card solved the extreme poor signal strength (no more than 4 meters). I contacted HP support en he asked me to remove the backcover of the Pavilion PV7-6190ED and look at the configuration of the black and white wires. He noticed it was wrong. The black wire should be closest to the battery. Wires have to be lifted/pulled upwards (not sliding) to remove them from the pins. BE CAREFUL !! The connection between wire and connector itself is very fragile...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

Excellent!  I switched the wires around and can now use my dv6 laptop in my living room!  Before this I had to be in my office upstairs to get a wireless connection in my home!

You have to wonder how many of these systems were screwed up at the factory because of this problem with reversed wires!

3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weak wireless signal

I'm convinced that the weak Wi-Fi signal, with the ENVY dv’s series, is a hardware issue and this is not just a glitch it is endemic. I don't understand; Why HP is giving its customers the run around? I've googled and read practically each post on this topic and HP keeps referring its customers to a software update, or “some bogus solutions”. They need to recall these laptops or at least exchange the faulty Wi-Fi adapters for one that works.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation