Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello everyone. These steps are mainly for those who have a working synaptics touchpad with the very latest drivers from their site and always on orange light.

1: Go to "Mouse Properties" and select the "Device Setting" tab, once there click the "Settings..." button

1.png

2: Double click on the "Illumination Options"

Note: You can avoid step 3 and just uncheck "Illumination Options" box. I simply added step 3 for those who want to tinker with the light.

2.png

3: Uncheck the "Always On" option box and the orange light goes off. You can also ajust how the light behaves here.

3.png

HP Recommended
Thanks David PK. I've had my laptop for a week or two and that's been driving me nuts. I figured it has something to do with the indenture in the upper left corner, but I never thought about double clicking it. I clicked it and searched the keyboard for a key that disabled the touchpad and then I'd click it again. I was banging my head against the wall. Seems like I was usually in the middle of doing something relevant when it happened and I'd have to reboot and start over. Oh, I I haven't found the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION option, but I did give you a kudos.

Re: what is the orange light on my touchpad?? Pointer not working!

Hi,

The orange LED is indicating the touchpad has been turned off - this is usually a simple on/off toggle that is activated or de-activated by double tapping the corner of the touchpad where the LED is, commonly this is the top left corner.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

HP Recommended

Really Thanks for your help Axshun Jaxun :Wink:

and thank for anyone at here :Wink:

HP Recommended

Great! Very helpful and simple. Google to this thread and now I know. :O)

Thanks

HP Recommended

thanx so much, I had never noticed it before. activated it when cleaning keyboard. xxx

HP Recommended

When I double-tap, my touchpad is disabled, but the little orange light is not lit. 

Is there a setting somewhere to turn it off/on?  Brand new computer, so I'm guessing it should not be burnt out!! 🙂

I would like it to turn on when disabled, that is a handy reminder.

HP Recommended

I was working on my husbands computer and apparantly accidently locked the touchpad.  I worked and worked on it.  I went to help and found nothing.  This was the exact answer and it was very clear.  Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

How do I get to the start button if my mouse isn't working?

HP Recommended
Maybe borrow a USB mouse from someone you know?
HP Recommended

Wow..thanks........so challenged:smileyembarrassed:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.