Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (180 Views)

wifi can't acquire network address

Product Name: Compaq 2510p
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Hi, we have recently had to restore a laptop and now it will not connect to our wifi set up. the router is identified but sits on the acquiring network address routine with no further progress. in the device manager, PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller show compatibility errors - exclamation mark on yellow background. I tried to install SP3 but could not. any assistance at this stage would be helpful. I am not in front of the machine at the moment but can try any suggestions once I get home this evening.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (144 Views)

Re: wifi can't acquire network address

[ Edited ]

Hi:

If you only has XP SP2, the problem is that there is no support for WPA2 security.

There used to be a patch for that but MS doesn't have it anymore.

There are spurious websites that offer the patch but I can't vouch for their safety.

The patch you need is KB917021                

Your only other option would be to install XP SP3. You can't get that directly from MS anymore, but this site still has a link to microsoft's server to download SP3.

Select the Download@Authors Site link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

You need this driver for the PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller:

This package provides the Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) driver for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp44001-44500/sp44015.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation