Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
romainluquet Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 installation : recovery partition wiped , need to re install windows but how?

HP STREAM 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear all,

Due to lack of space I had to wiped the recovery partition in order to install windows 10...

What a mistake! Now I cannot start my computer (missing hal.dll file).

Now I want to go back to a running windows (whatever the version : 8.1 or 10)

But I cannot find a license key, can I download a windows 8.1 usb bootable version on MS internet page? and install this one?

Please help...What a pity to buy a PC without the Windows license written on it...I am disappointed with HP products...

Thanks for your future replies.

Dear

Romain

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 301
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 installation : recovery partition wiped , need to re install windows but how?

Hi, yes, the Steam 13 uses WIMBoot so the recovery partition is required to run Windows 8.1.  If you did not create the recovery media before wiping the recovery partition, you would need to order it from HP to restore the laptop to the factory configuration. 

There is not an official install image for Windows 8.1 with Bing available from Microsoft the last I checked.  You can download an install image for Windows 10 but the laptop first needs to be upgraded from Windows 8.1 for Windows 10 to activate.  There is more information here.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation