cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pvkid
Level 2
16 15 0 3
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post

windows 10 log in screen does not have a place to login after sleep

HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j067cl N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 I have a strange problem.
After my laptop sits over night when I go to use it in the morning, I shake my mouse or hit a button so the lock screen goes away so I can see is the Windows start screen (login screen) but not the circle with my profile photos or the place to log in. I do have the icons in the lower left for shut down, ease of access, and Connect to the Internet.
I have my power setting so the computer never sleeps when it is plugged in but it does seem my laptop does go to sleep. All my other settings are at the default for the Balanced Plan. I have tried some of the other standard power plans put the same thing happens.
I am fairly good at troubleshooting problems but this one has got me stumped.

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @pvkid,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a  sterling  place to find answers and information!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that after updating to Windows 10 when you leave your notebook overnight that when you move your mouse you do not get your login option.  It appears to still be in sleep/hibernation and does not wake correctly.

Here is a link to HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎 that should help.

MIcrosoft is also offering support for Windows 10. You may wish to consider contacting them for assistance

Microsoft Corporation  / Customer Service 

1-800-642-7676

Contact Us - Microsoft Support

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this allowed you to alleviate this difficulty please choose solution provided to aid others.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
pvkid
Author
Level 2
16 15 0 3
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am afraid this does not help much as I am not sure it is a sleep issue or not. I do have the laptop set not to sleep I have followed everything on this page: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935#AbT0 and still have the problem.  Seems it might be a bios problem but there has not been a new bios relese for the ENVY since Windows 10 has come out. Let me know if you can help in any other way.

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @pvkid,

Thank you for your update.

I am not sure what bios you have currently but the latest one posted by HP is F.65 A on Sept. 11,2015 which is after the Windows 10 release in August.

If you run the HP Support Assistant  it will look for any recommended updates.

You can also use it to troubleshoot.

Open the HP Support Assistant.

Click on my PC.

Click Diagnostics and Tools.

Click performance and lock issue troubleshooting and follow the prompts.

As I suggested in my previous post you can contact MIcrosoft for help with Windows 10 also.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
pvkid
Author
Level 2
16 15 0 3
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I do a software check on the HP site that bios is not available for my Envy if I say I have Windows 10. If I do say I have Windows 8.1 it does show up and I can download it. After I install it, it says it is: F.65 not F.65A  eventhou I tried toinstall F65.A is there a difference?  When I run the Support Assistaint it says there are no updates available.

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

H @pvkid.

Thank you again for the update.:smileyhappy:

Yes they are the same.  The Support Assistant would have located the correct update and it is being recognized as the HP Support Assistant did not find any other updates .

As Windows 10 has not been tested on your notebook have you checked for any more Windows updates?

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
pvkid
Author
Level 2
16 15 0 3
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As you know windows updates on Windows 10 are automatic.  Updates have been installed so I do know windows updates are working. with windows 10 on my laptop

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @pvkid,

Thank you for your update.  

If you are unsure if you have all the updates you can try this.

Here is a link to Open the Windows Update troubleshooter that may help find additional drivers.   Although it lists Windows 7 it does work in Windows 10.

Once launched, it should show a screen like this.

windows updater.png

Use the second option "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", it should lead to a force update of 'Windows Updates' that may not be automatically being applied, that could fix some of these issues.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
pvkid
Author
Level 2
16 15 0 3
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did follow these instructions and got the error "Service registration is missing or corrupt" but when I checked for updates it did install a defener update so it does look like it is working.

I am nor sure what to do now 😞

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @pvkid,

Thank you for your reply and good morning!

The error message you received is informing you that you registration is corrupt. le'st try to fix that.

Right click on the Window logo in the lower left ( the old start button)

Choose command prompt Admin.

Type sfc /scannow and press enter.

This will take some time but it will scan for corrupted files and try to repair them for you. 

If that does not resolve the error I would look at recovery options for Windows 10.

Here are two link that should help with that process.

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

Recovery options in Windows 10

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation