Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
envy 17 j115cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i had been having intermittent problems with the cd/dvd drive--now, i am perplexed.

i can play an audio cd through WMP or VLC.

i try to burn an audio cd--WMP goes through the motions and ejects a reportedly finalized disc--but when i test it to see the result, it reads as a blank cd--which i attempt to burn again--again, all steps seem like they're happening--'pending', 'writing', 'complete', 'finalizing'--but same thing happens--won't play, is recognized as a blank disc.

same thing happening with third-party burning programs.

i go to play it and the burner software comes back up.

device manager shows hardware working properly.

tried doing a component test on it--it failed 'random read' (wouldn't detect the media a few times but finally did) and wouldn't progress the first test (can't remember--starts with 'S').

a while back, first i got a failure, then it passed with another try.

didn't go that far today out of frustration,

tried uninstalling/reinstalling.  problem persists.

no upper or lower class filter values in registry exist to delete.

what solution am i missing--or is the drive just bad?  that would suck since i've hardly used it.

i've made a windows 10 ISO, and that's about it.

none of the audio cds i have tried to burn have come out correctly.

any advice??

thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @circe801

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the DVD drive on your computer is not working correctly.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2qpQGeW

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.