cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MaxFerrario Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 recovery manager

Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife had a problem with her laptop today: she restarted it, and now Windows only starts in "recovery mode".

We created a recovery  media after upgrading to windows 10, and we can boot the PC using it, but when we try to create a backup of her data on another USB disk using HP Recovery Manager backup feature, the backup procedure always fails before 10% telling us that the backup disk was disconnected from the PC.

The backup disk is working OK on my PC, and we cerainly have enough free space - more than 300GB - to save my wife's data (I manually selected the folders to backup).

Is there any "Recovery Manager known bug" I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help,
Massimo

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Intern
Intern
40 40 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why not try another freeware for file backup?

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are many other ways to backup the data (my favourite is probably to boot linux from a USB pendrive) but she'd like to stick to HP tools.

Anyway, I successfully created a backup by having the tool to automatically choose what to backup: it took ages to create a  80GB backup file, but now I have a "certified" HP backup on an external drive.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
18,504 16,465 1,533 3,658
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm guessing you have NOT tried your favorite Linux-based method of booting the Win10 PC to access the files, right?

Because, if you HAD, you would have discovered that Linux would have REFUSED to mount the Win10 partitions.

Why?

Because Win10 comes with the infamous FastStartup new hibernation approach already enabled, and with this in place, the Windows filesystem partitions remain mounted AT ALL TIMES --even when Windows is not running.

This will prevent Linux from mounting those same partitions, as they are already mounted.

Just thought you should know ...

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're right, I have not!

Thanks for the info, even if it is not needed anymore in this case: it will save me time next time.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation