Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dmbennett Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 upgrade to HP Pavilion x2 WON'T RuN

HP Pavilion x2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I upgraded to the Windows 10 free upgrade.

Initially there was not enough memory on the tablet so I purchased a 32 G chip. 

The install went fine, so it told me.

Now when I power on it says 'Please insert the external storage mediate and press OK".  I pop out the chip and put it back in

It flashes a white box with nothing in it

Then it will spend over half hour trying to install a previous version of windows.

Then I hard reboot, same problem.

Any fixes? Can't even get to a prompt

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 711 1900
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 10 upgrade to HP Pavilion x2 WON'T RuN

HI @dmbennett,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More..  What is your specific model of Pavilion x2? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you are trying to upgrade to Windows 10 and discovered you required more space, You installed a SD card and downloaded the upgrade to the SD card. When you rebooted your notebook you got the message " 'Please insert the external storage mediate and press OK".

As you are unable to load Windows, I would do a recovery back to factory settings and then retry the upgrade.  Here is a link to HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)to assist you with that process. There will be a prompt to backup your data to prevent loss, should you desire to do a backup. HP Notebook PCs - How to Restore Backup Files Created During the F11 Backup Procedure. I am not sure if when you first setup the  split if you were prompted to create a backup  image or not.  If one is required and you do not have one, please contact HP Support to obtain a recovery kit. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Once you have completed that process, be sure to do all your Windows updates and run the  HP Support Assistant .  Here are links I think may help you with upgrading to Windows 10 should you like to try again:

HP Tablets - Upgrading to Windows 10How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation (from answers.microsoft.com) , Windows 10 update, please insert external media (from answers.microsoft.com) and How to upgrade Devices with less free disk space to Windows 10 (from thewindowsclub.com).  Microsoft is also offering support for Windows 10 should you care to avail yourself of that option.

Please keep me apprised of your progress.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as  "Accept as Solution”  to help other community  members!To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation