cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
marlenerockt
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windows 7 sp1 to windows 10 - 32% fail

HP HDX 16 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys, I'm having some issues updating my laptop (hdx 16, win 7 sp1 64bit) to windows 10. i've tried almost everything except reinstalling win7 because my dad needs his data.

i've disabled firewall, uninstall eset antivir, disabled defender, downloaded latest windowsupdates, used hp's support assistant for latest updates, cleanboot. 

my upgrade always freezes at 32% 6. I've tried it via media creation tool and the build-in online download - noting seems to work and produce the freeze.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,373 957 2,199
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @marlenerockt ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP HDX X16-1005TX Premium Notebook and issues with the Windows 10 upgrade failing at 35%.  Here is a link to the Compatibility center for Microsoft. Here is a link to system requirements for Windows 10.

You could try putting your Notebook in safemode with Networking and try the update. This has worked for others.

Here is a link to put the Notebook in Safe Mode.  

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

I hope something here helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Brad271
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can't install Win10 in Safe Mode.

marlenerockt
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yes - i'm still not able to upgrade the laptop to windows 10

I've tried almost everything except formating and reinstalling windows 7 - because its not an option

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
19,569 19,509 1,820 4,318
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Marlenerockt: 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Win10 upgrade experiences tend to fall into one of two categories -- really easy, and really hard -- and with what you've said, yours is the second (as was mine).  This second category is because some of the older machines have lots of problems with the Upgrade and you then have to do a LOT of work yourself to address those problems.

Also, these same machines are the ones that tend to fail the worst, and since the Win10 GoBack function is unreliable, they're also the ones that tend to be left in corrupted states.  I had that happen to my HP DV6 and had to restore it from HP Recovery Media to get a working machine back.

And, if that is not enough, these same machines are the ones for which there are no HP Win10 drivers, meaning, you have to HOPE that MS has drivers that will work, and even if they do, those drivers will not provide the same full functionality as would HP drivers.  

So, you end up with stuff like display artifacts, unreliable WiFi, and touchpads that don't work properly -- causing you to spend hours of time trying to hunt down drivers.

And ALL of this is to get a new OS that is, at the end of the day, really little more than Windows 8.2.

So, if you are prepared to take the leap, and willing to invest some money and a LOT of time, we can go forward -- but in the end, you won't have the same experience as simply getting a new Win10 machine.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation