cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jax13
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

windows defender

HP Recommended

I have recently purchased a  HP Pavillion 15-e092sa Notebook and it came with a 1 year subscription to Norton 360 Gold Anti virus protection.  I received a message from the action centre saying Windows Defender is not instsalled and I have not been able to install it.  I have checked through the system security and believe this is due to the Norton anti virus protection.  Do i need to have both Norton and Windows Defender running or is the Norton protection enough?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
muka3D
Level 7
Level 7
467 467 50 148
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hey Jax13,

Running both Norton 360 and Windows Defender at the same time isn't recommended. Norton 360 automatically would have disabled Windows Defender too.

I'm not sure exactly why Windows Action Center is asking you about this, it should detect that equivalent protection is running. Double check that Norton 360 is fully up-to-date and running properly. You may even have to do a "repair" on Norton 360 (Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> find Norton 360 in the list, right click on it, click "Change" then find the Repair option).
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,866
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What you are seeing is normal and there's nothing you need to do.  Norton will disable Windows Defender to avoid any possible conflicts between the two security applications.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Norton_Support
Level 6
509 507 27 59
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jax13,

I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team. As other hp Experts mentioned here, there is no need to install or enable Windows defender when you have Norton 360 installed. Can you please go to the Windows Action Center and see whether it recognizes the Norton product there?

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

0 Kudos
Jax13
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Vineeth,

I have received 2 messages from the Windows Action Center today saying Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Norton 360 are turned off and to run an application, yet when I go to my Norton 360 icon it says it is turned on.

Jax13

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Hold down the Windows key and press R.

Into the Run box type regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL and hit enter.        ( Include the spaces as shown )

Restart the notebook.

Again, hold down the Windows key and press R.

Into the Run Box type regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL and hit enter.

Restart the computer again and let Windows fully load for 5 minutes before checking the Action Centre.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Jax13
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed your instructions but do not have the repair option - only change/uninstall.

0 Kudos
Jax13
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DP-K

Thanks this seems to have worked.  My Norton 360 is once again recognised on the Action Center security.

Jax13

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jax,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Norton_Support
Level 6
509 507 27 59
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jax13 wrote:

DP-K

Thanks this seems to have worked.  My Norton 360 is once again recognised on the Action Center security.

Jax13

Hello,

Glad to know that the problem is solved. We haven't seen this problem with the latest version of our products. Can you please let me know the version of Norton 360 you have? Open the Norton product and then click Support > About to find the version.

Thanks DP-K for fixing the problem. 🙂

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation