Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
presario cq61
Microsoft Windows Vista

cannot boot into windows...windows boot manager informs me the file \windows\system\32\winload.exe is missing or corrupt, status: OxcOOOOOOf...i've inserted os disc and changed the first boot to cd but it will not read it and takes me back to boot manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Alan,

It would look like the HDD has failed ( the comprehensive test often won't complete in this case ) and this is consistent with the winload.exe error.

If you have any question regarding replacing the drive, or want the Maintenance & Service Guide, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your cq61 series notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@archie1

Rather than setting the boot priority in the Bios Menu ( f10 ), try the following method of booting from your OS disk.

Start the notebook, insert the Windows Vista installation disc and then Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to enter the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Options Menu ( f9 ).

Use the arrow keys to highlight the CDROM option and hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....' - do so.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response Dave....followed your instructions but it defaults to boot manager each time, having pressed enter it asks to choose an os, pressed enter again, it then returns to boot manager.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Just to rule out any possible issue with the optical drive itself, have you tried booting the notebook from any other bootable disc just to see if it's recognised Ok?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

tried the drive in another laptop...result was...default boot device missing or boot failed

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm certain, do you mean you tried the Hard Drive in another notebook?

Also, there should be a basic test you can perform on the HDD from the Bios Menu as follows

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on both the Hard Drive.

Let me know the result, including any error code ( this will usually be in the form 301, 303, 305 ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi Dave

I did try the hhd in another notebook...ran the test as you suggested...it failed on the long test at 21%...no error codes.

Alan

HP Recommended

Hi Alan,

It would look like the HDD has failed ( the comprehensive test often won't complete in this case ) and this is consistent with the winload.exe error.

If you have any question regarding replacing the drive, or want the Maintenance & Service Guide, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your cq61 series notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi Dave

Thanks for all your help, it's half the battle when you know where the problem lies.

Alan

HP Recommended

Hi Alan,

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.