Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
zbook 15 g2 (G7t32AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a second hand zbook 15 g2 laptop.

The seller informed me she forgot the BIOS password and now I need to reset it.

What should I do in order to reset the BIOS password?

Br

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@viktorhansen

The Zbook is a business class machine and HP Support will have to help with that. On most consumer class laptops you can just leave it blank and tap enter key. After 3 times it will give a halt code that we can use to generate a passcode but I am pretty sure that would not work on a Zbook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-zbook-15-g2-mobile-workstation/6978814/model/6978...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@viktorhansen

The Zbook is a business class machine and HP Support will have to help with that. On most consumer class laptops you can just leave it blank and tap enter key. After 3 times it will give a halt code that we can use to generate a passcode but I am pretty sure that would not work on a Zbook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-zbook-15-g2-mobile-workstation/6978814/model/6978...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice.

As you suggested I've contacted HP support and I've received a BIN file customized especially for my machine based on the details from it.

I've run the BIN file and the BIOS password has indeed been reset.

However, it seems the program erased a bit too much and now the serial number, model info, etc has been erased as well.

The Dell support person has been most helpful and in addition to our initial telephone call he called med today and I've explained the follow up problems to him and he is going to give me a new call in the beginning of next week after I've had time to update the BIOS version as he suggested me to do first.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Telephone support says they no longer generate .BIN. They offer to replace the motherboard instead. I have just get the final cost of that.. 387€ WHAT A JOKE!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.