Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

resolved it, sort of, went back to Palm Desktop 4.1.4

HP Recommended

Bit late back to this, but glad to hear you solved the problem.

Actually, I've been grappling with another Palm Desktop problem this weekend.  For some reason, when I open PD, the only 'apps' available to me are 'Media' and 'Install'.  I can't find any way to make it run datebook, calendar or the other usual 'apps'.    Hotsyncing still works (at least it reports it ok) but once again I can't actuall see any of my data, though for a different reason this time.

I've tried uninstalling PD and doing a new install, but I get exactly the same behaviour.

I can't pin down exactly when this happened, but I have recently installed MS-Office.

Very odd.

HP Recommended

@flyfisher007 wrote:

Bit late back to this, but glad to hear you solved the problem.

Actually, I've been grappling with another Palm Desktop problem this weekend.  For some reason, when I open PD, the only 'apps' available to me are 'Media' and 'Install'.  I can't find any way to make it run datebook, calendar or the other usual 'apps'.    Hotsyncing still works (at least it reports it ok) but once again I can't actuall see any of my data, though for a different reason this time.

I've tried uninstalling PD and doing a new install, but I get exactly the same behaviour.

I can't pin down exactly when this happened, but I have recently installed MS-Office.

Very odd.

Might try my original suggestion again.

Another user with a similar problem and solution:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Palm-OS-WinMo-Hardware-and-Software/Palm-Desktop-icon-s-disapeeared/m-p...

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

You've done it again Dean - all working again!!

I've not changed any accounts/permissioning on my PC (well, not that I know of anyway) so I don't know what might have caused this recent change in behaviour, especially as the first time you suggested it it didn't solve my problems.

Anyway, I tried 'running as administrator' as you suggested and PD showed all the usual 'apps' again.  There was no data being displayed though but I thought that was because of my re-installation of everything.  So I did a hotsync and that completed ok, but still no data being displayed.  Then I re-ran the Pimlico palmhotsyncsetup again and did another hotsync.  Still no data, but I closed PD and then restarted it and all my data appeared again, so all is now good again.

I've tried it a few times now and I'm getting consistent behaviour in that PD only runs correctly if I 'run as administrator', which I can live with but seems a bit strange as I've only got one account on my PC and it has administrator privileges.

But that's a very small price to pay for having things working again.

So, once again, big thanks!!

Cheers,

Mike

HP Recommended

I now have a Windows 8.1 loaner from HP, and composed this help file!

If Palm Desktop 6.2.2 only shows Media and Install, try this:  Right-click on the shortcut for Palm Desktop, then choose "Run as Administrator".  The other modules should appear.

To make Palm Desktop Run as Administrator every time in Windows 8/8.1:

Close Palm Desktop, if open.  (This is a very important thing to always do when using 6.2.2 - it has been known to lose data when a computer is shut down without closing the program!)

Right Click on the Palm Desktop Icon in the Metro screen, then choose "Open File Location".  You will now see the actual file for the shortcut.

Right-click on the "Palm Desktop" shortcut file, then Properties.  Now pick the Compatibility Tab at the top.

At the bottom of the Compatibility Tab is a checkbox:  "Run this Program as Administrator", Click OK .

Try opening Palm Desktop, all the parts should appear.  You may see a box open when you close the program asking "Did the program run correctly?"   I picked "Yes", and it's been working fine since then!

If you have an older PalmOS device (pre T|E for example)  and still can't see any data, you may need to use the PalmHotSyncSetup program available from pimlicosoftware.com.  This will translate the databases from the older style to one Palm Desktop 6.2.2 can process.

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Good summary!

All of that is also working on my Win 8.1 system.

Maybe include a bit about running the 'palmhotsyncsetup.exe' fix though, which fixed a problem on my system where hotsync seemed to work ok but no actual data was displayed.

HP Recommended

@flyfisher007 wrote:

Good summary!

All of that is also working on my Win 8.1 system.

Maybe include a bit about running the 'palmhotsyncsetup.exe' fix though, which fixed a problem on my system where hotsync seemed to work ok but no actual data was displayed.

Agreed flyfisher007.   I'll add that to the sticky post.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

I know it's been 4 years since anyone posted here.

Still I feel obliged to say my thanks to flyfisher007 to start this topic, and to the genius WyreNut for all his expert advise.

I have had the Palm T2 for well over a decade and ever since windows xp went out I had to constantly keep it charged in a fear of losing all the data as I couldn't sync anymore. 

Thanks for all the advise I was eventually able to sync my Palm with my Laptop after almost a decade.

Just a small glitch I should mention, Norton would not let me download the small patch needed, so I had to turn off the Norton protection for a minute to download it.

Everything is working like a charm now.

Many many thanks again.

HP Recommended

Sorry non of the here mentioned suggestions worked for me.

The only solution which really worked has been renaming all *.db files into *.mdb files and starting Palm Desktop new.

C:\Users\[windows username]\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\[palm desktop username]

\address\address.db -> adress.mdb

\datebook\datebook.db -> datebook.mdb

\memopad\memopad.db -> memopad.mdb

\todo\todo.db -> todo.mdb

that's it...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.