Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I  have been running Palm Desktop 6.2 under Windows 10 since Oct. 2015, but all of a sudden today am getting the same error you described for Windows 8.1.  Unfortunately changing  the program setting to run as administrator results  in a window popping up and asking  me if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer (as it would do for a new installation); saying  YES does not have any effect: The prgram does not start at all.  It's quite possible that this was caused by a Windows 10 update, since those seem to happen every week or two.

Anyone else had the same experience in Windows 10?  Any ideas for a fix?

HP Recommended

Backup your user data folders, then Uninstall/reinstall Palm Desktop.

It does sound like the Windows update scrambled things...  😣

WyreNut 

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Tried that, but it didn't change anything.  I can now run it as administrator manually (after telling Windows 10 that Yes, it's OK to run it), but I can't set it to run as an administrator automatically through the Properties menu; so it works, but it's clunky.  I'll keep checking  the web for a better solution.

HP Recommended

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and I get the same message when I try to open Palm desktop.  The desktop doesn't open.  Any ideas how to fix this?

HP Recommended

I'm not too familiar with Windows 7, but I suspect you can do the same thing as in Windows 10 Professional: Right click on the program icon and select "Run as Administrator."  Windows  will ask you if you want to allow this app to make changes to your machine, and you click on Yes. Palm Desktop should start, at least that's what it does in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

d it and Palm desktop opened in mmedia. Iwas unable to get to the basic desktop.

HP Recommended

Follow the steps in this post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Palm-and-WebOS/Palm-Desktop-6-2-2-Win-8-shows-Media-and-Install-TRY-THI...

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.