2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

iPaq travel companion

HP Travel Companion

HELP!

Please forgive me in advance if this isn't posted in an acceptable location.

Reason for post:

I bought a HP Travel Companion second hand from Goodwill Industies. I knew I was taking a chance since I didn't even  know if it worked when I bought it and I had to charge it when I got home. 

When I charged it and turned it on I saw it was locked, requiring a four digit code to open it. There was the name of the previous owner along with his phone number. I called the number but it was disconnected. 

There was also a "my information" screen which only flashed for a split second every few minutes. I took a video with my phone until this flashed, then played a frame by frame, freezing it on that frame to see the info. On this screen is the prev. owners name again, along with an HP email address belonging to him. I typed up a detailed message explaining my dilemma, asking what the code is, but once I sent it, the email bounced back with a MAILER-DAEMON FAILURE NOTICE.

I am, seemingly, at the end of the road with no options left as far as setting this unit up for my wife to be. I was hoping to give this to her as a present.

If there is a way to open this companion, and hopefully re-register it, would someone please impart this nugget of wisdom to me!

Respectfully,

Granite Works ;)-

2 REPLIES 2
Provost
Provost
18,585 14,893 1,027 2,039
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

iPaq travel companion

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Google is your friend.  See if this page will help you perform a Hard Reset:

http://www.hard-reset.com/hp-ipaq-rx5710-hard-reset.html

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
DoctorStone Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

iPaq travel companion

Thanks for the link! The hard reset worked wonderfully!

I found a vid on YouTube, but I believe the sequence wasn't shown correctly, or it showed one of the rest points incorrectly. It was not working. Now it does!

I am also wondering if there is any updated version of software available from HP for these units. 

As you probably have deduced, I am not very tech savvy. Lol

I'mstill trying to figure out how to connect this thing to the internet/link it to my century link modem...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation