Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just bought a 6978 for $89... then learned about the 902 ink cartridge recall. I did an online chat, and learned this from HP:

Paul: "When will the 902 ink cartridges in yellow & cyan be available again?"

Agent (Trish): "we are having a global shortage and are doing everything to get them in stock as soon as possible. We have received several shipments of them over the last couple weeks, but all ink and toner tends to sell out quickly during the pandemic."

Agent (Trish): "We have ordered them, we just do not have a date on when they will be in yet"

Paul: "So there is supply on the horizon? If I sign up for the insta ink service, will that be supplied before retialers or the HP onkline store?"

Agent (Trish): "yes, people who are on the insta ink program are supplied before out store"

HP Recommended

I received a standard Cyan 902 cartridge, last week (ordered during a brief window when they were available in the HP store).  Unfortunately, the cartridge I received did not work.  I got an "Incompatible Cartridge" error.  I called HP support and, after no success, they're sending me a replacement cartridge.  Hopefully, I'll receive it by the end of the week.  And, hopefully, this one will work.

In the meantime, I picked up a third party cartridge in the hopes that it would solve my woes.  No such luck.  It only gave me a "Cartridge Problem" error (Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed), so I had to return it.

I'm, once again, at HP's mercy.  I've been trying to buy ink for almost a month, now.  My patience is rapidly dissipating.

HP Recommended

I also have a office jet pro 6978 and cannot find ink, only Black and Magenta, where are the 902 inks. NowI find out HO has installed  software to block refills  Is HP trying to discourage people from buying there products. Printers are cheap so time to move to another product.

HP Recommended

I cannot find the cyan anywhere, even on the HP site.  Also, I had 2 bad cartridges that I had to trash.  Can you tell me where I can find them?

HP Recommended

The new HP cyan cartridges gave me error messages that they were not valid.  I put in one then another and they both gave me the error message and would not let me print.  I put back in the original almost empty cartridge and at least my printer would print. So I had 2 new cartridges that I took back to Staples and they said they couldn't refund anything, I had to go to HP.   I was pretty disgusted.  For now, I've switched to just black printing as I have 1 more of those.  Hopefully it's good.  But, yeah, I can't find the cyan cartridges anywhere.

HP Recommended

Except your out of stock and it is impossible to find yellow and blue

HP Recommended

I too had tried two HP 902 cartridges and learned they didn't work... so I am out the cost of these as Office Depot isn't taking them back.  **bleep**?  There is no info of a resolve anywhere for this.  Maybe it is time to throw my 6972 out the window (It is a POS anyhow) and go with Canon after many years of being an HP customer.

HP Recommended

902 and 902 XL ink in All Colors is back in stock at the HP on line store. 

HP Recommended

I checked the HP store 3 days later (11/15/20) - most out of stock.  Not enough there to make a full color set.  I too am disappointed that HP cannot keep users supplied with the basic ink to run their machines.  I'm with most of the folks on this forum:  dump the HP printers for a brand that's willing to keep ink in stock.   What else can we do?   The world doesn't stop while waiting for HP to restock shelves.

HP Recommended

I need the color inks for my 6968 HP Printer but they seem to be out of stock everywhere and for some time. What do I do for color ink?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.