Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The HP Store is Out of Stock on Yellow, whether XL or not. Also, no 4 pack with Black and 3 colors. When will these be back in stock? 

HP Recommended

I went to another Staples store in my area.  They had some 902XL cartridges for sale.  I told the sales rep I was aware of the HP recall on 902 cartridges and how difficult it is for us HP users to locate the ink.  I told him it was my understanding from another Staples store that ALL 902 HP ink cartridges were recalled.  He assured me the ink for sale were not defective.  When I asked if he had a list of the defective HP 902 ink cartridges, he told me he was not privy to that info and suggested I contact HP.  Ha...  that's a joke.  HP has been of no help with this dilemma for the past 2+ months.  What to do?  Buy the HP 902 ink that's being sold at Staples and risk ruining my printer or pass on them until HP resolves the fiasco???  

HP Recommended

Since my post earlier today, I decided to call Staples customer service.  I was just told that the HP 902 series ink on sale at Staples is not defective.  The only color they have not received from HP at this time is CYAN.  The rep assured me it's safe to purchase the HP 902 series ink they have on sale at their stores and online.  GOOD LUCK ALL!!!

HP Recommended

I'm looking at buying a Brother printer as well. I can't keep waiting on these ink cartridges. What kind of Brother did you buy?

HP Recommended

Just installed a new, HP magenta cartridge and received the message that it's defective. **bleep**?

HP Recommended

Has anyone heard when 902 ink cartridges for an Office Jet Pro 6978 printer will be available?

HP Recommended

They're out again as of 11/18/20 already.  However, I was able to go to printer support page at https://support.hp.com/us-en/eas/PrintQuality?origin=VA, enter my printer serial number and the cartridge info for the cartridge in question(if you have a brand new one with this defect) and they are sending me a replacement cartridge.

HP Recommended

Thank you TMSJ for posting this. I've posted numerous times and no HP rep has told me about this option. Super frustrating.

Also, what's the deal with not replacing magenta cartridges? I have a brand-new one that is 'defective.'

HP Recommended

This post beats all!  We have an HP employee providing no real help at all, but wants everyone to know they can (if they want) thank them for their lack of support!  And then, has the audacity to ask us to actually acknowledge their lack of help by "Accepting as solution"!  Is this what we have to look forward to in the future?  I sincerely fear this is a "generational" thing, like daily affirmation!  

So, and I have to ask, why is Operations-Tech Support taking the heat for a total Marketing failure?  Why isn't the Program Manager for HP Ink Stuff out there doing damage control or something?  

I've specified and/or purchased HP printers for personal and corporate use since the 1980s.  I've never seen a screw-up like this before.  You know, I bet if HP didn't have to support 1,142 different types of cartridges, they could focus on making just a few types really well.  Who knows, maybe it would help ensure adequate supply and reduce product (ink) costs!

My views are my own, too.

Retired Engineer

HP Recommended

Hi. Everyone of those cartridges is either on back order or out of stock at every major online HP dealer I could think of – including HP. I think black is readily available. Cyan has been missing for quite a while. And the set of off-brand cartridges I bought cannot be read by the printer. So I am stuck. Sad to see I'm not alone. Any explanation for the shortage? Any ETA for a return to shelves?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.