Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure HP has lawyered up at this point. Corporate counsel has probably advised them to not respond to all of our questions and complaints because they know a class action lawsuit is coming...  :-0o

HP Recommended

Apparently - according to "the google" - there are at least 2 902 cartridge related class action suits; neither are directly related to the availability issue but may explain the lack of availability as well as the silent treatment on this matter.  One is on the consumption of color ink while printing B&W (didn't know about that but explains some things) and the other is in progress re the coding out of 3rd party cartridges.  

Suggest we keep each other informed, but I'm taking 4 specific actions; a certified letter to HP Inc's CEO and potentially board members, complaint to the CA Attorney General (where HP is HQ'd), complaint to WA Attorney General (where my product was marketed and sold) and returning the unit - taking advantage of Costco's favorable c-sat terms - and making sure Issaquah HQ knows about the issue.  I'm particularly sensitive as my 8820 went obsolete because they couldn't make printheads.

The engineering eminence that HP used to have seems to have evaporated.

HP Recommended

SueSwan2 When I clicked on your lick it is no longer valid. What was included? Also, did anyone do the 10/28/20 download for updated firmware for this printer? Can't get an HP Chat to work, or get a live person on the phone and the text link they send doesn't work.  Trying to figure how to cancel my order for magenta and yellow since it has been sitting for days and I am guessing will be useless since cyan will never be available.

HP Recommended

I placed an order and called (probably whatever number they provide for orders, not necessarily tech support). I was told she couldn't cancel my order because I had just placed it, and I could try calling back in a day or so. More great HP customer service. In the end, it actually was cancelled by HP with a credit to my credit card.  

HP Recommended

the 902 cyan cartridge hasn't been available since October.  Do NOT order the Kong cartridges on amazon or anywhere else - you get the multi-pack,, including supposed cyan, but then the cyan doesn't work, so you basically waste your money on the whole pack.  really frustrating.  Is it HP trying to force all the 902 printer users to buy new printers??

HP Recommended

Yes, I'm going back to Canon

HP Recommended

interesting you've had no responses from HP to your question.  They really messed up with this issue.  I'm buying another brand of printer this week.  huge waste of money.

HP Recommended

out of stock - can't find any where

HP Recommended

Responding to Diski - It worked when I clicked the link  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06706633 just now.  Anyway, here is the information shared on that support page:

HP updates products from time to time to improve quality, enhance security, and prevent counterfeit and warranty fraud. Beginning in early 2019, HP began shipping a new updated version of the following ink cartridges: HP 902, 903, 904, 905, 906XL, 907XL, 908XL, 909XL, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956XL, 957XL, 958XL, and 959XL. The updated ink cartridges are compatible with both current and future printers that use these cartridge numbers. Cartridge and printer availability and compatibility may vary by region.
Beginning December 1, 2020:
  • HP 902, 903, 904, 905, 906XL, 907XL, 908XL, and 909XL cartridges with Warranty Ends date of Apr 2021 or earlier might not be compatible with these HP OfficeJet printers: 

Followed by a large chart listing printer model numbers in various regions of the world, then

Original HP cartridges installed in these printers prior to December 1, 2020 function normally and without interruption.
What should I do?
Continue to buy and use the cartridge number that is compatible with your printer. The updated cartridges are compatible with all printers that use the existing cartridges. Install Original HP cartridges with the earliest Warranty Ends date first.
If you see an error with an Original HP cartridge prior to the Warranty Ends date, visit HP Customer Support.
Do I have the updated cartridges?
Refer to the Warranty Ends date on the cartridge or packaging to see if you have the updated version of these cartridges.
  • HP 902, 903, 904, 905, 906XL, 907XL, 908XL, and 909XL cartridges with Warranty Ends date of May 2021 or later are the updated cartridges.
  • HP 952, 953, 954, 955, 956XL, 957XL, 958XL, and 959XL cartridges with Warranty Ends date of Feb 2021 or later are the updated cartridges.
The Warranty Ends date is on cartridge packaging and on the cartridge itself.

HP Recommended

Why is HP not addressing the WHY and WHEN regarding 902xl cayan ink?  No retailer seems to have answers either.  Been on backlog for a long time and it is greatly interfering with my work production.  Maybe we should all abandon HP and switch brand loyalty.  Very frustrated with HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.