Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Not working again.  Convinced that cyan print head nozzle is now non-functional and will continue to clog.  Must have been defective cartridges.  HP needs to replace printers.

HP Recommended

I'm late to this thread but also have a HP printer that has been made unusable for any color jobs due to defective 902 cyan ink carts (have tried multiple with no luck - multiple cleanings both by hand and through printer utility).  As it seems there is a clear and evident problem with the 902 cyan cart that has been reported multiple times, I formally request HP issue a full recall for the HP 6978 printer.  This model, as I understand it, has been discontinued and replaced with the newer HP 8035 (that doesn't use 902 ink by the way).

HP Recommended

in doing some additional online research, I came across a document from October 2020 that indicates there is a recall (not well publicized) that states HP will replace the printer on request. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFmoCXn4DvA...

Apparently, if you registered your printer with HP, you were notified about a recall.

"HP has set up a toll- free number  where end users (that did not register their printers) can reach out and get QC issue cartridges replaced directly from HP."

The phone number is listed in the link.  This forum won't allow me to post the number to their own support line.

HP may ask end user to also return the printer for replacement at HP’s expense."

HP Recommended

Update:  After calling the number listed in the link, it appears that HP actually won't honor the recall.  While my printer is out of warranty (purchased in 2017), the carts more recently used have been the culprit for the printhead failure.  Sadly, HP won't honor the recall, so don't get your hopes up that a recall will be honored.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detective work getting this information.  Sorry to hear they won't honor recall. Are there other models besides the 6978 that failed 🤔 becauseof this?.  I almost bought another on Amazon same model but went with one from Costco also HP but a 9018.which works fine.  

HP Recommended

Screenshot_20210223-134541_Amazon Shopping.jpg

 I  just checked out question of other models that use 902 cartridges on Amazon and found this. Are all these models suffering same problems...or just 6978?  And the 6978 is still being sold! 

HP Recommended

My Officejet 6978 is suffering from the same problems as everyone else.  Called tech support today and got disconnected after 35 minutes.  Brand new cyan cartridge right out of the box and the printer says it's almost empty.  Time to switch to another brand of printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.