Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

In the same boat. I found out around September that the cyan and yellow were out of stock everywhere. I have been checking all over to no avail. What a waste of time and energy. I am only printing in black and white, but of course the colored ink cartridges are still getting used up. I have had this printer less than a year and really don't want to have to buy a whole new printer just because HP can't get their act together and supply ink cartridges for the printers they make and continue to sell.

HP Recommended

So the REAL reason that most inks are out of stock is that HP is tightening down on the 3rd part refilling options.  I went into a ink refill place and and the owner showed me an email from his sources who said that HP is adding in a security chip to eliminate generic cartridge use and/or the ability to simply refilling in their own OEM HP cartridges at SAM and Costco.  My local Costco confirmed this and even went as far to tell me that they only have 1 CostCo in my area that can refill them

Apparently the email I read, said that refillable cartridges installed prior to EOM (November) and before user use a software update to drivers will still be able to use their last cartridges but after than we are all SOL.

"

Dear valued customer,

Important notice about HP printers using HP 902xl, 952xl inkjets. HP set date code on all printers using HP 902xl, 952xl inkjets from 2019. Current third party HP 902xl, 952xl inkjets with VA chip will not be recognized by the printers if the consumer installs cartridges on or after Dec. 1, 2020. Please see detail information by clicking following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06706633

Ninestar Technology has released VB chip which works on all printers using HP 902xl, 952xl inkjets after Dec. 1, 2020. Please order small quantity of HP902xl, 952xl inkjets with VA chip before this Friday (Nov. 6, 2020) if you need them before Nov. 20.

Since the cost of VB chip is much higher, we will have to increase our selling price. Thank you for understanding and support. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you. "

Sincerely

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I sent a request to Seven on Your Side; maybe they'll look into the problem and let me know what to do.  Stay tuned....

HP Recommended

Thank you. Do those mentioned include 910 cartridges? I wonder if HP is looking to force customers to do subscriptions? I know I had issues with their subscription of cartridges and then my printer wouldnt print. They had to do something from their end. I don't like the idea they could just program to stop your printing. It just doesnt seem right. 

HP Recommended

I bought a new HP Officejet Pro 8025 in April, along with some extra ink. By June, we were out of ink and none to be found. By late Sept. Started calling and emailing HP. Thru Sept and Oct spent hours on the phone getting sent to one group then back and around in circles. All they could say was to sign up for Instant Ink even tho none was available. One woman even offered to help me purchase a new printer --- with me paying for it. She didn't get that I already bought a new one and its their issue why it can't be used. Finally got a manager who confirmed ink would be in stock in mid Nov and he helped me order some. Confirmed it should arrive by 11/18. Gave me his name and #. Needless to say, it's 11/23 and I've heard nothing. The phone # Ravi gave me requires a 6 digit code -- that he conveniently neglected to give me. Chose a different option and have been on hold with HP for 1hr and 6 minutes and the recording is still thanking me for my patience! This is a nightmare. Last time we but HP.

HP Recommended

This is my 2nd post regarding 910 ink shortage. Two weeks ago I called HP Store and asked if they had 910 ink in stock yet as their website says “Out of stock”. The gentleman said sure how many do you need? At this point I’m ecstatic because I haven’t been able to use my printer in months due to no Cyan ink; even black and white printing won’t work without Cyan ink color. I ordered 2 multi packs and waited, and waited, and waited 2 weeks for my ink to finally arrive. I inserted the new cartridge and immediately I get “CARTRIDGE NOT COMPATIBLE”!

Now I’m really POed and call HP store again and relay to another gentleman what is going on. He tells me they aren’t suppose to be selling the supplies in the warehouse because they are defective. (Obviously the warehouse never got the memo) Marketing is aware of the problem and are working on it and new cartridges are suppose to be available 2nd week in December. I will believe it when I see it!  Someone needs to start a class action suit against HP. Totally unacceptable!  WAKE UP HP AND RECTIFY THIS SITUATION!

HP Recommended

I have a 2 year old HP office jet Pro 6978 that uses 902 ink.  I also subscribe to Smart Ink.  Until a month ago I had been very pleased with the printer and the smart ink subscription.  HOWEVER, I received message stating that their Cyan cartridges were faulty and a new Cyan would be sent to me.  So far I have received 2 cyan cartridges that do not print properly.  The page printed with blue ink has pink streaks in it.  So I'm assuming that there is a problem with 902 and 910 cyan cartridges, at least.  Having a subscription to Smart Ink has not helped and I am paying a fee every month for this program.  I believe I will not be mailed a new cartridge (even if one existed) until this one is out of ink.  Use of the virtual assistant was useless.  I have not found a phone number to call HP.  This is extremely frustrating.  

HP Recommended

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me as well. I went through the ink that came with the printer that worked just fine, then opened up the combo pack of 4 cartridges that I bought the same time as the printer. The black 910 XL cartridge worked fine, but the blue cartridge kept giving me an error message that the cartridge could not be recognized as a genuine HP cartridge. Tried all of the reset instructions and nothing worked. Went online to try to find a replacement cyan cartridge and they are nowhere to be found, still after many weeks. So I have a nice "color" grayscale printer.

Would be great if HP would be forthcoming about how this issue is going to be resolved.

HP Recommended

Contact HP directly and tell them you have a cartridge that is giving you an error message (I assume it's the "incompatible cartridge"?).  They sent me out a new cartridge in 2 days!  That's why i don't understand if they have them to ship out, why aren't they selling them?  I didn't return my useless cartridge.  They never asked. I'd give it a try!! 

HP Recommended

This is HP's response of HP 910 cartridge availability given on Amazon. I myself don't believe there response is  what's actually happening but here it is.

- - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the review and feedback. While I’m glad to hear that you like the printer, I apologize that the ink cartridges you’re looking for are currently unavailable. For reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are seeing an effect on some product availability. We are actively working with our supply chain team to minimize these delays. Please check back soon.

If you need help with anything regarding your printer, I hope you’ll reach out to us so we can help you assess the situation and work through any necessary troubleshooting. We cannot list direct links in responses to Amazon reviews at this time, but you can locate our support site by searching the web using keywords “HP Support.” Our official site should be at the top of the search results. There you can get help from a virtual agent, get troubleshooting documents specific to your printer or search our extensive knowledge library.

Keith
HP Car
e

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.