Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've been printing in black by adjusting my printer preferences to use high quality grayscale - not at all optimal, but it's working.

Also yesterday I was able to order a pair of the 910xl yellow cartridges on Amazon. Will have to wait and see if these will work successfully. So possibly HP has turned a corner on supply - possibly.

Still more than a little disappointment with their lack of candor regarding this situation.

Am really missing my recently deceased K550 printer. That thing just ran and ran - had to change the printheads (which quality seemed to be going downhill) but when it worked it was great.

HP Recommended

Well, I've received my replacement Cyan and Yellow cartridges for my 8035 printer and replaced them.

The problem now is that the only prints in uneven horizontal streaks. thin lines. Tried several printhead cleanings to no avail. Then tried one of the new 910xl cyan cartridges I just received and - same thing. Cyan prints in irregular horizontal streaks and several printhead cleanings has failed to improve the situation.

I think the prolonged outage with the cyan ink has left me with clogging issues with the cyan ink feed or the printhead.

HP Recommended

I just went to Costco and they had the 910XL ink in stock in color and in black! I bought 2 packs of the color XL and 1 pack of the black XL which has 2 cartridges. This should last me awhile. They did not have it online just in the store. In the meanwhile I also bought a pink XL at Staples and a yellow one on the HP website. I will be swimming in ink for a long time. 

HP Recommended

Zang,

Before I start, let me say that I have no training or qualifications.  All of my knowledge has been acquired over the past 25 years of experience, as an end user.  

That having been said, I have cured a problem similar to what you describe by 1) removing the ink cartridge, 2) removing the printhead and 3) cleaning the printhead with a paper towel moistened in warm water.  It helps to let the printhead sit on the warm wet towel for a few minutes to melt/loosen any dried ink.  Beware, it can get messy.  Otherwise, it looks like replacement printhead(s).  The printheads will probably cost half the price of a new printer.  It won't cost anything to try and clean the ones you have.  

I only did it once. I think I found a video on YouTube.  Once you see it done, it's, relatively, easy.  (I know, 'famous last words.')

PS Avoid the printhead cleanings.  They will drain the colors that work.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you very much for the info! Its great you could get some ink, unfortunately, many of the people here, including me, bought the 910 ink and our printers kept saying the cartridges were not compatible with the printer. I hope it will work for you🤞!! Good luck & keep us posted!p

HP Recommended

It's not just 8025 ink. Also with 902 cartridges. I have been all over town, including internet. There is just no ink to be found. I am getting responses that include that include...everybody at HP is working from home and cannot make ink...there is a problem with ink cartridges damaging printers.... and of course, the generic ... covid caused an ink shortage, (lame)... The only one I have NOT heard is that extraterrestrials took all the ink because they need it for fuel. I was advised by an employee at a retail store to sign up for instant ink...it's not that there is a shortage, it's because HP wants everyone to go with instant ink...if I sign up for instant ink I should not have a problem getting ink....on Dec 11, 2020 I called HP and believe it or not, was able to get hold of somebody who seemed to know what was going on...I was told if I signed up for instant ink, I would have my ink in 7 to 10 days. So I did. Well, here we are, Dec 21, and a tracking number has not even been assigned to my order. I again contacted HP, (chat) and was told it would be two to three weeks. I asked if that was an honest two to three weeks, or is that what HP is telling you to tell the customers. In a round-about way, rep said that is what they are being told by the company. Maybe not legally, but HP has an ethical responsibility to their customers to tell us what is going on with the ink issue. This has been going on for months. It did not just start yesterday, and I believe they have had plenty of time to fix whatever the problem is. This is not a game. I am NOT printing photos of my dog, or my grandkids,  I have a business to run and that is what puts food on my table.  My business will also be shut down this week if I do not get ink. HP does not seem to care. Their attitude seems to be of the mindset they can tell their customers anything, and customer has to eat a spoonful of it. I will give them until the first of the year, and then, if it is not rectified I will be leaving HP for good. I will not do business with a company that does business like that. WE DESERVE SOME KIND OF AN EXPLANATION. My recommendation to the community, is to accept the fact HP is not going to respond to our cries, so we might as well leave HP and go with another company. I have not confirmed it, but it seems Epson is not having a problem with ink. I do not have the knowledge to initiate it, but if somebody with the knowledge started a class action lawsuit I bet we would get some **bleep** answers. People are starting to loose income because of this. Further, I should not have  to spend the money on another printer. My 6978 works fine.  Let HP buy me a new printer...I think my entire attitude would change if HP would just tell us what is going on so we could then all decide what we want to do. 

HP Recommended

This is very ironic, HP doesn't make money selling printers they make money selling printer ink.  This MAJOR supply chain failure does not make the folks in the "C" suite, look too good.  STOCK TIP:  If you have any HP Stock (HPQ) short it now!

BTW -2's month later now in Jan 2021 still no had the same issue, No HP - 910 3-Pack Standard Capacity - Cyan/Magenta/Yellow Ink Cartridge's.  Can't find anywhere ore online other than, on E-bay but for a ridiculous price. 

[content removed]

HP Recommended

unfortunately its obvious that we need to cut our loses you can buy a new printer for the cost of two ink purchases from HP and you can buy refillable ink for big savings $$$$$

HP Recommended

Just finished a chat with their online help desk.

If you want to buy the 910 Cyan, it's still out of stock everywhere, and they estimate 3-4 weeks. 

They did mention if you enroll in their monthly paid plan, they have stock and will send it to you.

So follow the advice of Barb above me, and what I'm doing. Buy a different brand printer. HP is essentially forcing people towards a monthly subscription.

HP Recommended

Yes, they probably are steering us to use their program. I did sign up for it and it seems like a pretty fair deal. I received all my cartridges within a couple weeks. Just a few days after my first post. I was very hesitant at first, but once I signed up for instant ink, I am very happy with it. We get HP original ink, not some knock off...there is a chip in the cartridges so HP knows when to send you more ink. Several plans to choose from, and they all seem pretty reasonable. I am saving about 50% on ink, and the cartridge's have more ink than what you would get at retail store. I would suggest calling in to get set up. It will go much faster if somebody walks you through it. I would recommend that program to everyone ....

Thanks HP ... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.