Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

The Instant Ink program only benefits you if you are either a) printing primarily in color, or b) printing at the limit of your plan.

Let's say you're a mainly black and white printer, who prints 75 pages a month (in between their 50 and 100 page plans). A 910XL cartridge should last ~825 pages, which would be 11 months. At $6 a month, that's $66. A new 910XL cartridge is ~$53 you would pay more, not less under this plan.. 

The cartridges do not have more ink than the ones you buy from the store. You're paying on a per page basis. It doesn't matter how much ink is in the cartridge.

As to the chip comment, it doesn't just let them know when you need ink. What you are actually consenting to provide is:

Remote monitoring includes provision to HP of Your ink levels, page counts, types of documents printed (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, pdf, jpeg, etc.), types of devices that initiated print jobs, printer serial number, cartridge information (e.g. HP Original ink status, and whether the cartridge was new or used at the time of its last insertion into the printer), and other similar types of metrics related to your Instant Ink Service as may be added by HP from time to time.

You also consent to them passing on that personal information on to other branches of HP, service providers and partners, as well as advertisers.

So while you may indeed see those kinds of savings, most people likely will not, and you have to agree to be a personal information farm to HP.  

Hard pass.

HP Recommended

I guess you can manipulate the numbers any way you want.  I did not spend as much time as you obviously did trying to figure it out ... you must be in your 14 day quarantine ...  I simply checked to see how much I am spending on ink, printing close to 300 pages a month, then checked to see how much it would cost on the plan .... I am saving money ... not going to tell you how much... 

The ink cartridges I get DO have more ink ... not going to tell you what cartridges I use either ... you will have to research that one... I am confident you will .. 

If HP does not have anything better to do than want to know if I am using Word, or PowerPoint, pdf etc, more power to them, I have much higher concerns than that ... If you are worried about that, you should check your internet server...

Bottom line.. I am happy with it and I feel "most people" would be also.... so there !!! Anyway, you have your homework assignment ... get to it and let me know ... neatness counts !!!

One question for you .. your ID is ven88 ... does ven stand for venomous ???

HP Recommended

I spent about 15 seconds doing the calculations. It's elementary level math. There is no need to "manipulate" the numbers. For a primarily black ink only printer (like myself).  it's incredibly simple to calculate the break even point

15 page plan - Always more expensive

50 - Always more expensive

100 - Need to print at least 94 pages, but less than 110

300 - 218 pages

700 - 452 pages

Again, your ink cartridge comment is incorrect. If you're on instant ink, HP is required to send you enough ink to print the number of pages you sign up for. You aren't getting "more" ink. 

If don't mind paying someone to collect your personal information for which they are then going to sell, you're entitled to that choice.

I'm happy you find the plan has value for you. It doesn't for me. I didn't even pass judgment whether people should or should not join. I just simply provided information and context to the plan. Individuals are welcomed and encouraged to come to their own informed concusions.

Thank you as well for the laugh. It was very, very entertaining for you to try an imply I am venomous, when I have done nothing but state facts, while your post is filled with personal attacks. 

HP Recommended

I  was at Best Buy today and speaking to some customers that were looking at  printers i asked them to see if they carried the ink for the printers and by amaze all three said no we were told not in stock . I continued on about the  scam  they were all very grateful for the info. I then proceeded to talk to the store manager as to why they are selling printers with no ink available  of cause his answer was he was unaware of this. Total BS

HP Recommended

I just don't get it. I don't see many people posting that they switched to the Instant Ink program.  Assuming that their plan was to force everyone to sign up, they appear to have failed.  At least judging by the lack of people who have posted that they did sign up and it's working.  It looks like they're just loosing customers (forever).  I am very disappointed.  I always loved HP over the past 35+ years.  Just about every printer that I've owned has been an HP.  Probably my last four computers have been HP. 

I was lucky enough to find a set of cartridges in early November '19 and I don't print much.  So, I will loyally see if I can wait this shortage out ( I do like the printer).  While I'm waiting, I'll be saving up for a new non-HP printer.  Sorry HP, but you are doing it to yourself.  An explanation of any inherent problems would be, by HP, would be helpful.

I think that it's terrible that they are still selling the printer knowing (and not informing the customer) that ink is only available through the instant in program.

HP Recommended

Of course it is BS. He/she is the store manager...If the store manager is not even aware of their own stock, and issues at hand that directly effect customers, they need to get rid of that manger and find one that is capable of performing the duties of their job description. They should at least post signs WHERE PEOPLE CAN SEE THEM, (not on the back of the door of the cleaning closet), advising customers of shortage of ink. Great job in educating the public !! thanks

HP Recommended

ok went on HP site they have 910 ink back on just placed an order seems all colors are back. But definitely not purchasing anymore HP products im through with HP !!!

HP Recommended

1:30pm EST, 1/13/21.  I just went to hp.com and it does appear that all colors of 910 ink show up as in stock.  I didn't order any, but it's there.  Thanks Barb11802!

I also went to staples.com.  Most are still out of stock.

HP Recommended
It's the same with the 902 color ink cartridges. Cant find them anywhere. It's extremely annoying because i can't print anything.
HP Recommended

I would like a brother printer too, except the one i want isn't in stock, and hasn't been in stock since summer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.