Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community!   

I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 that uses 920 in cartridges for over 5 years and no issues til now.

When prompted to replace ink cartridges (always replace the entire set: Cyan/Magenta/Yellow) recently, I purchased the packaged ink cartridges.  Installed all 3 but error came up for Cyan ONLY.  Said I was not using HP products (but I was)

Printer would not accept the Cyan.   I purchased another set of ink cartridge's and AGAIN the same issue came up with Cyan only.  I can't afford to again buy cartridges and can understand for the life of me why this is happening. 

When I replaced Cyan with empty cartridge, the printer accepted it but them proceeded to tell me the cartridge was empty. 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Tammy213 

We can offer the following:

HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

This document applies only to these HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers that use HP 910, 912, 914, 915, 902-905, or HP 935 ink cartridges:

• HP Officejet 6810, 6820, 6950, 6960, and 8010 printer series
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 6230, 6830, 6960, 6970, 8020, and 8030 printer series

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers

Ink Cartridges

The printing mechanism for this printer consists of four ink cartridges. Review the following information to find the ink cartridges that are compatible with your printer.
note:
Depending on your country/region, ink cartridges might have XL or Economy in the number. These ink cartridges work with your printer. XL ink cartridges provide higher page yields and Economy ink cartridges provide lower page yields than standard ink cartridges
Ink cartridge description
United States and Canada
Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Latin America
Asia Pacific
Black ink cartridge
HP 902 Black
HP 902XL Black
HP 906XL Black
HP 903 Black
HP 903XL Black
HP 907XL Black
HP 904 Black
HP 904XL Black
HP 908XL Black
HP 905 Black
HP 905XL Black
HP 909XL Black
Cyan ink cartridge
HP 902 Cyan
HP 902XL Cyan
HP 903 Cyan
HP 903XL Cyan
HP 904 Cyan
HP 904XL Cyan
HP 905 Cyan
HP 905XL Cyan
Magenta ink cartridge
HP 902 Magenta
HP 902XL Magenta
HP 903 Magenta
HP 903XL Magenta
HP 904 Magenta
HP 904XL Magenta
HP 905 Magenta
HP 905XL Magenta
Yellow ink cartridge
HP 902 Yellow
HP 902XL Yellow
HP 903 Yellow
HP 903XL Yellow
HP 904 Yellow
HP 904XL Yellow
HP 905 Yellow
HP 905XL Yellow

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.   I have purchased and tried using the 

HP Original HP Ink 920 cartridges.   (920 pack with Cyan, Magenta, Yellow jaune) 3 in the pack,

the Magenta and Yellow Jaune work find my problem is the Cyan is the only one the printer rejects.

Two new cartridges and same rejection message. "The cartridge is not HP brand.   But it is!   

Totally confused  😞

Thanks again,

Tammy

HP Recommended

@Tammy213 

You are welcome.

Sorry, I cannot comment further.

According to the specs, HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer does not use 920 ink.

The 902 cartridges - marked as supported - are known to have a problem - the document addresses that situation.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.