Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
n/a

Hello, my question is: am I required to mail used HP Instant Ink cartridges back to HP? I know HP sends a prepaid shipping envelope to you along with the cartridges, but my question is if I am required to send these cartridges back in the first place?

For example, if I just recycle the HP Instant Ink cartridges, will there be any consequence in doing so, since I didn't mail them back to HP?

I've seen conflicting answers to this question while looking through forums of this same question over the years, so I wanted to just ask again here in 2021.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I save mine up and usually return a year or so worth at a time and I've not had any follow-up from HP looking for the returns. 

I wouldn't worry too much f you don't get around to returning them via the dedicated return stream. 

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can return them via the prepaid shipping envelope or any other recycling stream of your choice.

If you don't return them, it won't affect your subscription and you will continue to receive replacement cartridges as normal. 

"

HP Recommended

Much appreciate your response, Donal.

Just to be sure, the HP website says: "HP Instant Ink cartridges are the property of HP and must be returned when empty, or when your service is cancelled." (source: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03922745).

It sounds like HP requires the return of the ink cartridges...but maybe I am misinterpreting what they wrote?

HP Recommended

I save mine up and usually return a year or so worth at a time and I've not had any follow-up from HP looking for the returns. 

I wouldn't worry too much f you don't get around to returning them via the dedicated return stream. 

"

HP Recommended

Appreciate it! Marked as Solution. Thanks again, Donal.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.