Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
laser jet m477 fdw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Color Laser jet mfp m477fdw Best quality not available even though there is a slider for it. It just keeps hopping back to normal. It has been like this since I got the printer. I tried all the fixes offered on another post - (can't find that post now to refer you to). I'm an artist and though I like the printer and even bought one for my son, who does not need the highest quality setting, this printer was supposed to have this and it does not. I don't see any way to change the dpi. All the different paper settings make no difference. as I'm still not able to slide to "best" I need a more saturated setting

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, for printer highest DPI, you can go to the file print option, before sending the job, go to Media and Quality and modify the bar for the highest quality. 

If there is no difference, try adding the printer with a generic postScript driver and select the same option to get the highest DPI. 

To check the printer quality, you can print a demo page report from the printer and usually thats the quality of the device in normal average. 

Regards,

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello,  This does not work. This is exactly what I'm complaining about. When you go to Media and quality, you cannot sllde the bar. It does not let you change that. You cannot modify the bar to highest quality.  This is unavailable and I believe quite unfair of HP to offer it when it doesn't work. I bought the machine because I need the highest quality, and I thought it was available when I bought the machine and it has never worked.

What can you do about this?

Jean

HP Recommended

Hello,

The available option is to calibrate the cartridges and then try to use a different driver. 

to calibrate the color cartridges you can go to set up > system setup > print quality > color calibration and calibrate now. 

then to use a different driver, from the computer, go to the apple icon > system preferences > printers and scanners > hit the plus icon and select the printer, after that where it says Use , select a different driver, like generic postScript or secure airprint. 

Then add the device. 

Then you can print and test by moving the quality bar from the print menu.

The quality you may get is in average the same one as printing a demo page from the printer. 

Regards, 

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.