Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4527 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have been on hp Facebook sent messages waited twice for over an hour for a live agent and nothing so this is my last resort the last few black ink cartridges from Insta ink does not dry it drys like charcoal and comes off on your fingers even on quick dry gloss, everyday photo paper all hp brand

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Make sure you are selecting Glossy Photo paper in the driver settings.  The Envy uses pigmented ink for the black cartridge, which is not compatible with glossy photo paper.  When you select the proper paper type in the driver the printer will use the color cartridge for all the printing on glossy paper, even for the black printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

It's the same even if I select gloss paper the black doesn't dry it's like charcoal and comes off on your fingers 

HP Recommended

OK, try the following:  remove the black cartridge and print the photo.  The printer will switch to reserve mode and automatically print with only the color cartridge.  The pigmented black cartridge uses ink that is not compatible with photo paper.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi I have always used gloss paper and never had a problem but the last few replacement cartridges the black or very dark bits on the photos don't dry it comes off on your fingers like charcoal but never had this problem before 

HP Recommended

The black ink is pigmented and not compatible with glossy photo paper.   If you select photo paper in the driver the printer will make black by mixing the dye-based color ink which *is* compatible.   Did you try removing the black cartridge and printing with just the color cartridge as a test?

Please check your driver settings, the results you describe would be compatible with selecting something other than the proper photo paper in the driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.