Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet InkAdvantage 3835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The color tab disappeared a few weeks ago from the printer settings in Windows and on HP Smart, and the option to print in color no longer appears in Word or other Windows apps. Am using a Windows HP Pavilion.

Option to print in color sometimes appears when printing from Google Chrome or a PDF or jpg, or reappears in Word when I reboot, but even when it does and I select color, it always prints in black and white.

We can print in color from an iPhone or iPad. but some of the fonts are changed, and we do not get the full range of colors.

Test pages DO print in color from the laptop and from the printer control panel.

Finally deinstalled and reinstalled but with no change.  HP is not helping. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below specific version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy (Copy1) and check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks, Shlomi. After 10 minutes or so it told me the printer was off-line, so the app could not fix it. But the printer was not off line. I hit the BACK button and started again, making sure the printer did not go into sleep mode. 

I got this message for over 8 minutes:

YakovL35-9_0-1601557733044.png

and then displayed this message:

YakovL35-9_1-1601557934986.png

Immediately clicked More Info. This has been displaying for nearly 10 minutes so far; in the meantime, I am using the printer touchscreen every few minutes to keep it awake and verify that it is on-line.

YakovL35-9_2-1601558353377.png

And after 10 minutes of that display, I got this one again, even though the printer touch screen says it is on-line. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks.

YakovL35-9_3-1601558513584.png

HP Recommended

ShlomiL, I see that the clipits do not display on my earlier reply. The first one says that the diagnostic program is the communicating with the printer. The second one says that it is diagnosing problems. The third one said that it could not resolve the printer off-line problem and could not continue. 

After that, I tried creating a TCP port, but still don't see a color option, whether or not SMNS is disabled. (Not that I know what any of that means, I just saw it suggested by HP's Chatbot.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed information @YakovL35-9 .

Please try the following steps:

First, be sure to follow both Steps 4 & 5 in below knowledge base article by @MatheusH below:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Printer-Wi-Fi-Connectivity-Issues-and-Offline-...

If the issue remains, manually create a print queue as following:

Click the Add a Printer button, then on 'The printer that I want isn't listed'.

Select Add a Local Printer or a network printer with manual settings.

Within the Use an Existing Port drop-down, select the TCP/IP port created earlier and press Next.

Select HP, then select the HP Deskjet 3830 model and press Next.

Select 'Replace the current driver' and follow the steps to complete the wizard, be sure to select to Set the printer as default if offered.

Then try printing using the newly added print queue and check if you may now print in color again.

Please keep safe, and happy Sukkot!

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.