Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 4535
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello so I have a problem with my printer. The issue is it won't print in color. At first I thought it's something with outdated drivers, but updating them/reinstalling had no effect. I searched web for my problem for hours but all I could find were simple drivers issues. I tried even printing from mobile but nothing. Choosing "Copy" option directly from printer still prints in grayscale. I am using original cartridges and color ink cartridge is 3/4 full. I tried cleaning printhead but still no luck. I haven't replaced cartridge with new yet, because I am not sure if that would solve the issue. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@askcookie

Thank you for posting back.

This seems like a hardware issue with the printer. Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/ish_1721989-1461843-16 (refer to Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts)

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@askcookie

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to your printer? 
  • Are you able to print in black?

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying! Yes printing in black works fine, and I haven't made any changes. It was home in same place all the time and it just stopped working suddenly. I tried running HP Print and Scan Doctor, but the page that is coming out looks like this:

msedge_k7pgD8Uhjl.png

HP Recommended

msedge_k7pgD8Uhjl.png

HP Recommended

@askcookie

Are you able to copy in color? 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, the copied document/photo comes out in black & white.

HP Recommended

@askcookie

This seems like a hardware issue with the printer. Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document: https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/ish_1721989-1461843-16 (refer to Clean the ink cartridge and carriage electrical contacts)

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The scan doctor did not correct my problem. The test prints came out in color but when I printed a doc with color it was black and white.

Please advise.

Lee

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

My printer also wouldn’t  print in color. Followed all the suggested steps to fix the problem but nothing helped. Took the  color ink cartridge out again (for the umpteenth time) and this last time, out came the protective tape that obviously had been stuck inside the printer but this time stuck to the cartridge. Oops must have forgotten to take the protective tape off when I put in a new color cartridge last month.  Can print in color now. Lol. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.